M A
M A
  • Grand Blanc, MI
Asked on Mar 1, 2012

Do anyone know how to remove a stain on a dark cherry wood dining room table?

FlorenceMargaretElaine
+20

I place some hot food on a paper plate and placed it on the table. Now the table has white marks where the hot food was. How to I remove the stain without ruining the table. The table is dark cherry wood. (I think it is wood).
  • Madeline C

There is a product by JASCO called white ring remover. It works, but takes quite a bit of elbow grease (rubbing).

• Catherine G

I just read on pinterest a home remedy. Take a hot iron and rub it over some cloth over the stain.

• KMS Woodworks

I would not use and Iron...it was heat that caused this ring in the first place. The jasco product works well, as well as the other "white ring removers" Homax is another commercial product. In the homemade arena Mayonnaise can do the trick too. For serious cases I have done some light sanding and "spot" refinishing. The ring is caused by ingrained moisture.

• M A

Yeah, I don't think I want to apply heat again. Where do I purchase this Jasco Product?

• Madeline C

You can probably find it at any hardware store. You can also probably go to their website and call or email them to find out where to buy their product.

• KMS Woodworks

check your local hardware stores...sometimes specialty paint shops carry it as well. and of course you can find it online. http://www.amazon.com/OLD-White-Ring-Spot-Remover/dp/B0000CFM7M/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1330879166&sr=8-13

• M A

I'll try the Jasco product and let you know if it works. Wish me luck!!!!

• Tammie W

I know this sounds crazy but I tried it on water stains on my antique furnature and it worked amazingly...worth a try. Take a clean cloth ( towel works best) and an iron ( clothes iron) heat the iron on a med/low dry setting. Lay the cloth over the stain and iron away. check it every 30 seconds to see if the stain lifts, if you see it starting to vanih...keep going til its gone....I hope this helps!! Let me know...

• M A

It's not exactly a stain. It is like the white marks are into the wood. I use my fingernail to scratch it and it disappear, but after a few minutes its still there.

• Carolina Custom Garages

I have heard the iron remedy works as well but haven't tried it myself. I think it has something to do w/ wax build-up on the surface?? I used to have a table that did the same thing.

• Janet D

You would have to strip down the whole piece and start from scratch. Find someone who refurbishes funiture and see what they say or Write to Ask this Old House. You can find there address on line I believe or in the This Old House Magazine which is very interesting. Hope this helps.

• M A

that seems like a lot of work for just a small spot on the table. But thanks.

• KMS Woodworks

have you picked up the Jasco yet?

• M A

Went to Lowes and they did not have it. I went to Ace hardware and they did not have it. I will still check around or try to order it on line. I will let you know when I get it and try it out. Thanks.

• Wendy M

Sounds crazy but take a little Mayonaise and rub it lightly on the stain.

• M A

Can I use Miracle Whip or does it have to be Mayo? I have ordered a product from Jasco Co called "Homax White Stain Remover" . It should arrive within 3-4 days.

• M A

I wanted to let you know that I recieved a product called "White Ring Remover by Homax Company. I tried it on the table and it worked very well. The white rings are gone. Thanks to all who gave advice. This product really works.

• Madeline C

Glad it worked for you MA! As I said, it takes some 'elbow grease' but it does the job.

• KMS Woodworks

great to hear the ring is gone

• Marina Fraser

if it just happened por salt on the stain let it sat and after afew minutes rub,.this really works

• Elaine

Just take a clean cloth (old sock is best), put some mayo (regular or lite, any brand) on the cloth and rub on in circles and remove. This may have to be repeated. GoodLuck.

• Margaret

I had the same thing happen I have used several things trying to remove it but I think it is wax from the paper plate. How would you remove that??

• Florence

What do you do to remove dark rings from dining table ? I guess from hot plates. that's all I put on the table