Tish
Tish
  • Kissimmee, FL
Asked on Mar 2, 2012

Does anyone know the name of this plant?

Lin4309289MaryDia3012015
+31

Leaves look like it could be a suculent variety, and the flower closes up in the evening to reopen the next day. I think it grows as a ground cover.
q does anyone know the name of this plant, flowers, gardening
  • Lynn B

Ice plant...Mesembryanthemum.

• Walter Reeves

likes FULL sun and is very drought tolerant

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

There are a ton of new colors and tighter leaf clusters to be had. Take a look the Red, Yellow and white ones http://pinterest.com/pin/234890936785004110/ http://pinterest.com/pin/234890936785004116/ http://pinterest.com/pin/234890936785004099/

Also very salt-tolerant.

• Bonnie B

We call it "Ice Plant" here in California. It does exceptionally well in along the coast as a ground cover in sandy soil. It does not tolerate very cold or hot weather.

• Tish

Thank you for all the help, I'm looking foward to having a nice patch of it full of flowers someday.

• Jul1431269

Here in Australia we call it a pig face.

• Meem Kaplan

Good ole Ice Plant! I lived in the SF Bay Area as a child and we would break off the "leaves" and use them to "draw" on the sidewalk. If we had known the Australian name I'm sure we would have had a lot of fun with that!!!

• Sue

Ice plant .....comes in other colors also....orange and yellow also.

• Heathaah Nault

iceburg.I live in northen,ca I put a little piece in and it took over.very invasive hard to get rid of all root.even a sm.piece of the succulant will grow.drought tolorant nice ground cover and bees love love love!!

• Joanne

It is ice plant, comes in fuschia, yellow, orange & red.

• Thelma Sisson

Ice plant grow a lot on California

• Lynette

In Australia it's called 'Pig Face' .....shame as its so pretty on a sunny day! In NZ it's called Ice Plant.

• Sally

I agree with Sue...ice plant! You see a lot of ice plants in California, and the fliers are beautiful.

• DORLIS

It will even grow in Northern Missouri if you give it good drainage. Great on slopes that are hard to get to. It doesn't take over like in California.

• Karen

Ice plants see a lot in California they use it around high traffic areas. Beaches roads etc...

• Dina Kayda

ice plant

• Olivia Mendoza Golden

Ice plant. Also in yellow. Can be broken off and you can make more plants. I love it

• Angela Herremans

Here in Australia we call it pig face :-) don't know why I have it my garden beds as a ground cover and yes it's a succulent :-) it. Comes in lots of colours but the most common is pink :-) you will need to keep it under control as it will sprout roots at all the joints which are touching the ground be it mud or grass and yes it will run out over the grass if not kept in check. I go mine from the neighbour when she was pulling it all out of her grass area so it came with the roots already :-) all I did was place it I. The garden bed and covered all the areas that had the roots showing and within the month it was spreading itself in its new home :-) but I do have to cut it back when it tries to escape the flower beds :-)

• Tish

Member feedback

• Tish

Member feedbacks

• Melanie Giezing

Hi Here in South-Africa it is called a 'hotnots vygie' This plant is used for plenty of different uses. Press all the liqued out mix it with nivea cream and use it for burns,blisters and mostly for Jellyfish stings. The litte green plant can be cut open and the juice can be put on a sore place just like that.

• Tish

• Gerri Brostrom

It's common name here in the U.S. is ice plant. Easy to propagate by pinching off a piece and sticking it in the ground. Spreads easily.

• Bronwen.gilchrist

In Australia the common name is 'PIG FACE' and is a native plant that grows everywhere where I live, which is near the beach. There are different coloured flowers and leaves. You are correct it is a succulent and a ground cover and with a bit of water and warm weather it grows fast. Just break a leaf off and plant it, in fact it will strike roots by just laying on the ground.

, Native pig face growing wild
  • Olivia Mendoza Golden

Ice plant, I have it in purple and yellow. very easy to grow

• on Apr 3, 2016

In Greece we call them ice-plant ()

• Tinamills

Ice plant, my neighbor has it in her garden.

• Tish

Membresa answers

• Anjo Da Sorte

In Portugal Carpobrotus edulis chorão-das-praias https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chor%C3%A3o-das-praias

• Tiffany Wilkerson

Delosperma - Ice Plant. It's an annual in Virginia

• Dia3012015

It's called Ice Plant. I grew up in Ca., and had ton's of it. My brother's, and I use to have Ice Plant war's, throwing it back and forth with the neighbors. Wonderful memories!!!

• Mary

Maybe this -- Carpobrotus acinaciformis (commonly known as Elands Sourfig, Elandssuurvy or Sally-my-handsome) is a succulent perennial of the family Aizoaceae, native to South Africa. from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpobrotus_acinaciformis" target="_blank">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpobrotus_aci...

• Lin4309289

It's an Ice Plant. It is a ground cover & can become very invasive.