Terry M
Terry M
  • Quincy, IL

Book page decoupaged dresser!

I purchased this vintage dresser for $5 at a garage sale last year. My 20 year old daughter was moving into her apartment and needed furniture. The lowness of this would make a perfect TV stand and the drawers would be great for storage, but the orange had to go. This was such an easy project because it was actually well painted. I just torn up an old book and decoupaged it right onto the orange drawer fronts. I lightly sanded the edges smooth and put two coats of poly sealer over it. She wanted the same knobs, so I just painted them black. Easy and it works great for her little place. Total cost was $8 and the chest is all wood and very solid!
Before and After

Terry M

• Lauren

Were your pages already dis colored or did you treat them to give aged look? If you did treat them, can you describe how? My last attempt was a dismal fail. Thanks.

• Annie Doherty

Hi Lauren I use cold strong tea or coffee and dip the pages in and dry. Obviously don't leave the pages in, just coat in and out this has always worked for me. You can also use this to age fabric if you want a vintage hue, the colour will fade slightly if you wash regularly, but never loses the antique look. If you use as upholstery it will keep the original colour. Worth a try? Good luck.

• Annie Doherty

Lauren on furniture, you can also use a coloured wax to tint/age or a tinted flat varnish. I believe in trial and error as sometimes this trial, turns out better than initially intended. Have fun with your project :-)

• Krissy

How did you glue the pages on and what kind of glue and seal did you use?
    • Ssenex

The best trick to age the paper is to rub it with a napkin soaked in coffee
    • Donna

Mod lodge or you can mix 1cup white glue & add 1/3 cup water, mix well and paint on and when dry seal with minwax poly!

• Martina

Absolutely Love It! Love the sheet music idea too. I was thinking of copying my favorite bible verses to do this, but now I think i might use an old Hymn book. Thanks for the great idea.

• Anna Ibarra

I've done this more as a craft project. I love this idea on a more functional piece. 😍