Build a Cedar Crate Box

244 Views
This cedar box is easy to build and perfect for harvesting season or planting. Add a little stencil detail to make it your own.
Time: 1 HoursCost: $7Difficulty: Medium
  • diy cedar garden box, storage ideas, woodworking projects

This box really was easy to build, I used new cedar fence boards purchased from any lumber yard or home improvement store.

Finishing embellishments included a light stain, chevron ribbon and stencils.

I also used 2 x 2's for the interior corners; once everything was cut to the right size it was time to build our box. You'l be amazed at how fast this project goes so buy enough wood to build two.

Make your measurements according to the size of the box you want to build.

Prior to assembly sand each board then attach two cedar boards to 2 x 2's and repeat so you have two walls.

Then take the remainder cedar wall boards and connect the walls till you have the shape of a box.

TIP: I connected this box with nails and drilled pilot holes to keep the wood from splitting. Cedar has a tendency to crack and split under pressure.

• diy cedar garden box
Once the entire box is connected add additional cedar boards to close in the bottom and you have a wooden crate.
  • diy cedar garden box
Adding stencils and ribbon is an optional detail but not necessary. Stain the wood so the project lasts longer and use for your gardening adventures. I love these for planting and harvesting.

Suggested materials for this project:

• Wood and Hardware  (Home Depot)
  • Stencils and ribbon  (Craft Store)
Garden Up Green - Carole

Ask a Question