Anybody doing any seed starting this winter? I've discovered winter sowing using my recycled containers.

I've also started plants indoors using my new seed germination mat and grow lights. Seems that the plants started by winter sowing outdoors is doing just as good as the ones I have in the house that I've been babying.
Recycled winter seed sowing

• Kim Wilson

Last winter, I grew beautiful lettuce and meslun (salad mix) using 4 large heat mats and 4 grow lights in an unused area of my basement. I used long narrow plastic flower planters I got for almost nothing at a garage sale, but any container with drainage will work just as well. If you've ever bought them at the store, you know that those bags of baby greens are expensive! Mine thrived all winter, providing me with all the free salad greens I wanted. And, no pests to contend with --an added bonus. The greens didn't even need washing. Fresh homegrown salad in January --what an unparalleled treat!

• Penster47

This site has some really good information about winter sowing. http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/category/gardening/winter-sowing/