Christine J
Christine J
  • Cleveland, OH

Building a raised shade garden

Because of an area next to my garage I have had problems with soil erosion. I have tried sod and grass seed with lil to no success. This area is covered by a huge shade tree so I decided to install a raised flower bed in this area to see if this will help build the area back up.
building a raised shade garden, flowers, gardening
Flowers are growing in along the edge still need more dirt. One thing I dont like about raised beds...

• Jean

what zone are you in? I am 6B. There are a bunch of plants for shade besides hosta. Coral bells - comes in a lot of leaf colors (yellow, lime green, orange, purple, purple with white splashes,etc), I have seen Purple palace coral bells live in all kinds of conditions. In sidewalk cracks, with English ivy, Pulmanaria (lungwort) - early spring flowers of pink and purple, ferns - wood ferns take dry soil under trees. Big leaf asters work under my oak tree- they are right by the trunk- late fall flowers. Barrenwort which has small flowers is a slow ground cover along with wild ginger. My wild ginger is growing under a large viburnum sharing the ground with maple tree roots and my house on the other side. Mayapple is in the same area as well. Add some compost and you can plant lots of stuff. Yes my garden gets to be a jungle. I have a lot of shade.

• Terra Gazelle

From the pictures it still looks like the garden will be higher then the foundation..but the garden will be wonderful. Maybe a french drain leading away from the foundation?