DIY Laundry Soap

I created this laundry soap a few years ago after a ton of research. It seems everyone has their own idea on how to do this simple thing. Bottom line is nobody wants to run around the neighborhood in dirty clothes and everyone wants to wash their clothes for cheap. I have made many changes to suit my need and have finally come to a recipe that I feel is worth posting about.
diy laundry soap, cleaning tips, how to
Three Ingredients plus water is all you need!
diy laundry soap, cleaning tips, how to
#1 - One box of Borax. You will need 2 cups of this.
#2 - Arm and Hammer Washing Soda (not baking soda). You will also need 2 cups of this.
#3 - 2 bars of sulfate free soap. I have used a couple different kinds and am now using sunlight bar soap. I like it. Just do not get any kind that has moisturizer in it.
#4 - You will need your 5 gallon Bucket with a lid of some sort to cover it.
#5 - A box cheese grater
#6 - A large sized pot and 8 cups of water.
First you need to grate those 2 bars of soap and while your doing that heat up the pot with your 8 cups of water on the stove. You do not want it to boil. Once you have all your soap grated take it over to the stove and start sprinkling it into the hot water a bit at a time stirring constantly. You do not want to pour it all in as it will clump up and you will never get it to melt. Remember do not let it boil so keep the heat down.
While this is melting grab your bucket and fill it about half way with hot water and slowly add your 2 cups of Borax and the 2 cups of washing soda, do not be tempted to dump it all in! I did once and it was not a pretty sight. Stirring well so as to get the lumps out. By the time you get all the lumps out and have been stirring the melting pot of soap at the same time you will be wondering "is all this really worth it". The answer is YES!
This is thick!
This is thick!
OK now everything is melted in the pot and stirred in the bucket you want to add the melted soap from the pot to the bucket and give it a good stir. You can go ahead and use your paint stirrer attached to the drill here if you like but at this stage I just stir it with a long handled wooden spoon. Once well combined cover the bucket with your lid and let sit overnight.
diy laundry soap, cleaning tips, how to
The next morning when you remove the lid you will see one big mass of gel. The above image is to show you how thick this is. That mason jar could sit there all day and not sink. This needs to be well stirred again to get that glob more liquefied. This is where that paint stirrer comes into play. Once you get it all mixed up you need to get it into some containers. I have more details on this whole process over at my blog so come have a look. If I can convert just one person to start making their own laundry soap I will be a happy gal!

KAT

• Peggy Candrian

I started using the same soap recipe about 15 years ago and swore I would never buy commercial soap again. Well, now I live in Kauai, Hawaii, in a studio apartment and I have no room to store the materials or the buckets, so I am buying laundry soap. Maybe someday I'll have room to make my own laundry soap again. I miss making it--My own science project!!

• Avinash Limaye

Does the Normal Chlorinated Urban Drinking Tap VVater Have Any Specifc Significant Instruction In Making, and VVhat are the Similar Ingredient Products Available At India Market, Suitable for VVashing Machine Soup .

• Peggy Candrian

I think you're asking if you can use regular tap water for this soap and the answer is yes. I don't know what the similar products are that you could find in the India Markets. I guess you could look at the ingredients used and go from there. Good Luck!