Revamping An Old Goodwill Hutch With Homemade Chalk Paint

I Found this piece at the Goodwill store it was only $80, I couldn't pass it up for my front entrance.
revamping an old goodwill hutch with homemade chalk paint, chalk paint, painted furniture
I walked away from this piece when I first saw it and 2 hours later I phoned the store and asked if they still had it. I wanted to try my homemade chalk paint on something and this would be the piece, I would revamp into something new.
I'm sure at one time it served as a good looking piece in the natural dark stain it was in. For me it was to dark looking and old . It has on the top drawer a desk type stationary opening with some small little drawers, which we use to hold our keys in now. I didn't paint the inside of the drawers I left them dark, I thought they were pretty left dark against the lighter paint I chose, it also would of been a lot of work to paint all that.
First stages of priming it.
First stages of priming it.
I started painting but I ran into bleeding from the stain coming through. This was the first time I experienced something like this myself. At first I couldn't figure out what that dark shade was peeking through, and then it hit me what it was. I asked my husband to quickly run out and get me some primmer, which did the trick and stopped it . You can also use a shellac over it first to stop bleeding.
The finished result, I did it in BEHR PAINT, " Cottage White" its a great color. I put 2 coats on of this and then I waxed it and distressed it along the edges. I felt it needed something more so I stenciled something on the drawer fronts.
It fits really well in the foyer as its not to deep and it keeps all the scarfs, gloves and keys which I like .
This is some stencil work I did on the front so glad I did it looks so much better, just adds more character to it
Old Bedroom mirror
Old Bedroom mirror
This mirror was from a dresser which was just sitting in the basement not being used at all. I was going to give it away but I just thought maybe one day I may finish it and use it. Well I did and thought to myself what is the worst thing that can happen if I paint this and I don't like it, I could just get rid of it. To my surprise when I finished it, I loved it so I leaned it up against this hutch in my foyer so glad I didn't toss it!
This is mirror now painted in same color with chalk paint, I am so pleased the way it turned out. From an out dated bedroom mirror to a shabby chic mirror.

To see more: http://lookingforpotential.com

• Patty Navarrette

Did you make your homemade chalk paint using the Cottage White Behr Paint...?

• Sandra Powell

Thank you so much, sometimes we all need that thats why I love all the blogging out their you get inspired and the ideas are endless. I hope you tackle it would love to see pictures if you do!!

• Autumn

I love the end result and the stencil truly makes it! Where did you get the stencil?

• Sandra Powell

@Autumn Thank you so much, the stencil is from Micheal's Craft store

• Terri White

Where did you get the tall lamps?