Asked on Mar 4, 2016

Need suggestions for 1970s Mansford roof

Rose Marie WilsonChrisDiana Deiley
+14

I have a Sun City AZ 1970s home with a Mansford roof and I am trying to find a solution for the roof. I would "LOVE" an option that could be painted! I can't afford slate and tile. Others have basic composite. I have looked at all the homes in the neighborhood for ideas and I am hoping maybe someone from another part of the country might have a suggestion.
  • KatAych
    KatAych

Can you not paint a mansard roof?

Janet Pizaro

I would research a roofing paint that is durable for your area. Make sure it can withstand all wheather elements and is stain and mildew resistant.

• Hope Williams
    Hope Williams

Hi Martha. First, I had not heard of a mansford roof but now I know! lol I researched paintable roof systems and the only two products I found were either silicone or rubber, both liquid applications. And to me they are both for metal roofing and sealers. My best advice would be to contact a reputable roofing contractor and ask a lot of questions. Being in Arizona, your roof will have to accommodate many extreme weather conditions. I'm sure there are atleast a few other options out there for you. I would say cedar shingles as they are paintable. You could change your color when you wanted to. I know here in Georgia folks are using, with success, a liquid rubber application. It comes in colors, is durable and has a really great warranty. It's kind of like the spray coating for truck beds. Get yourself educated as much as possible, learn all the ins and outs of all possible options and I know you'll make the best choice for you. Let us know what you learn so there's can learn as well. I wish you luck and hope you find your best solution for you!

• Duv310660
    Duv310660

Is your roof composite or cedar shakes? I just can't tell from the photo (my eyes, not your photography!) I personally recommend a sculptural/geometric-style skylight to complement those vertical windows and statuesque palms. Mansard roofs were a staple of high-ornamental Parisian architecture back in the day; but your seventies version is paired down and minimalist. Anything you decide to do should reflect 60's/70's genre and not be decorative or fussy in any way.

• Ranger
    Ranger

Not sure what a Mansford roof is - reminds me of thatched rooves. What about a roof garden on that large flat piece?

• Nancy Oden
    Nancy Oden

if you want to downplay the mansard roof altogether..you might try awnings...altho it would be difficult to figure out how to use them to cover the entire roof area...I can only think that changing the roofline entirely...u might need a designer or architect to help u figure that out...painting would be taking a chance...

• Johnchip
    Johnchip

First, my dear, It is called a Mansard roof or French roof or curb roof, a 4 sided gambrel style hip roof. You are unclear as to what it is you want . You say a "solution". Do you mean replacement, change of color, texture, is it worn out, you don't like the look, style, what is it you want to solve? Whatever it is, you need to talk to roofers to find your options/solutions, as a roof is not a DIY project unless you are a 'Rosie' with rivets and lots of experience.

• Debra Bond
    Debra Bond

I believe that's a Mansard roof. Unique to French style architecture.

• Dexter
    Dexter

Being in the sun wood doesn't do well. (I can't afford slate and tile) Mansard roof, the short run (economy) would lend its self to black metal roof standing seam "for color pop contrast, all though would absorb heat if insulated might even use for hot water system".

• Debbie Chenoweth
    Debbie Chenoweth

They are cedar singles.

• Chris
    Chris

I agree with dexter on metal roofing, but standing seam (the best) is easily twice the price of traditional metal roofing such as corrugated roofing. And traditional metal roofing will work just as well as standing seam because of the very short lengths needed for your project. Off subject, Is that green gravel? I remember turquoise gravel used in Phoenix in the 60's.

• Chris
    Chris

Traditional metal roofing and standing seam roofing come in a wide variety of sizes, profiles, and colors. You may want to try various types on a computer manipulated photo of your home before committing to one type/color.

• Diana Deiley
    Diana Deiley

Oh do I miss Arizona! You have a beautiful home. I would suggest a metal roof. I lived in Cottonwood for 10 years, replaced my roof, not much dollar difference between a shingled roof and a metal roof. Go for it. You'll be glad you did.

• Diana Deiley
      Diana Deiley

@Martha Petersen Dudley Ask for specs regarding the metal roof. If your "attic" is properly insulated you shouldn't have a problem. And, you could check with your utility carrier for their advice.

• Chris
    Chris

Martha, My guess is your "real" roof is a flat composition built up roof, and the wood shake feature is simply a "decorative" trim wrapping around your home. Check this yourself. Look at your roof on google maps, zooming in on satellite view. Your roof should look white except for the wood shake trim around the edge.This wood shake trim may even be completely removable but might leave the home looking odd, like a brick box. Consult several building and roofing experts before you can even begin planning to repair or remove. But more importantly, have your REAL roof inspected. This type of roof requires regular maintenance every 3 to 4 years, painting and patching. These BUR (built up roof) roofs also need periodic replacement, depending on how well they were made and maintained.

• Rose Marie Wilson
    Rose Marie Wilson

Mansard.