Donna McCrummen
Donna McCrummen
  • Bernardsville, NJ
Asked on Mar 5, 2012

Here's a table I got free from a CL posting. It had icky slicky black paint.

Don1784093Donna McCrummenPeace Painting Co., Inc.
+9

The legs are Queen Anne style it's just set on a work table base. I will paint all but the top - that is if I can get it sanded out nice enough to stain. It will be very lightly distressed. What color would you go with?
Ew
Ew
  • Terri J

What colors are in the room where you plan to put it? Or do you plan to sell it? I was thinking along the lines of if you keep it, chose a color that will blend in with what you already have. If you are selling, why not do something that will make it two-tone? Such as deep redish mahogony or walnut stain instead of paint? If painting and slightly distressing, I have seen beautiful things done with lighter gray's, creams, greens... Don't know if that really helps or fits the era, but that is my own taste. Or perhaps like Chocalte?

• Donna McCrummen

It will be for sale. The top will be stained with dark walnut the legs and detail I'm thinking a soft green or creamy white. I need to keep it neutral for wide spread appeal. Or something like this...it's called Duck Egg Blue - I used Minwax Provincial stain on the top.

q here s a table i got free from a cl posting it had icky slicky black paint, painted furniture
  • Terri J

We agreed on cream's and green's proving that great minds think alike, but I think that cream would be more neutral than the Duck Egg Blue. I love the peace above, but can tell you right now, that it would not go with anything I currently have in my house. That doesn't mean it would not fit in wth other people's stuff, but to me, a creamy white would go much better.

• Donna McCrummen

I agree - whites have universal appeal. Green is a terrific neutral. This Duck Egg piece is at the store now - the first one I did sold right away.

• Susan S

Can't wait to see what you turn this into. I'm sure it'll be fabulous!!

• 3po3

A white seems like the mostly broadly appealing option. That is what I would be most likely to buy anyway.

• Donna McCrummen

@Sheila - a lady at the store told me I was a "gifted artist" of course I didn't didn't argue with her :-) but thought "no, just practiced".

• It looks as if you are off to a great start!! Practice makes perfect they say. @Shabby - congrats to the excellent work.

• Donna McCrummen

Thank you HandyAndy.

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

For something different, occasionally try a red, blue or lime stain. I have seen some lacquered stools in these colors that work. They are a bit exotic looking but offer a break in the routine. Chas.

• Donna McCrummen

@Peace. Red stain...hmmmm. I love breaking out of the cream, white, tan, boring box now and then. Not too often though. These things have to sell.

• Don1784093

I like tat idea of lime stain someone gave u.