SHARI B
SHARI B
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Newfane, NY

DIY Plywood Plank Floors

$225

Yes, that says Plywood Plank Floors! - Trust me, it's easier than you may think! We did this in a bedroom! - People think they look like high-end expensive floors... However, we have discovered since then that it would be cheaper to do tongue and groove 3/4" pine (the back side of wainscoting, which is the flat side, would be up - we plan to do the rest of our home with this). I'd say the bedroom, which is
diy plywood plank floors, diy, flooring, woodworking projects
Getting a good start!
Almost there! - and this went very quick with 2 people! - Maybe about 2 hours! I measured, he cut and applied the Liquid Nails, I placed the planks and used the Nail Gun! :)
Ready for sanding! Literally sat on my butt and used a palm sander, which is quite user friendly. We might try sanding before install next time, but it seems that all the "real" hardwood floor folks install then sand...
Stain before some more sanding! - This time, I did the sanding by hand (before applying the polyurethane) to have more control of the color. With the plywood planks (pine - finished one side), it sure soaked up the color! - Made me glad we chose a darker color stain!
After sitting on my butt, scooting around the room sanding by hand, to get the desired look . / I'm sorry I don't have pix of the finished room without furniture, etc. in it - but trust me, it's beautiful! - everyone's impressed!!!
Here we are with some furniture in the room - this is used as a guest room and for our new grandbaby when she is with us!
This gives you a good idea of the satin finish. It looks rich! - I, personally, am not in love with shiny wood floors, so this is our desired look. All in all, we would say this was a fairly easy project - started very early on a Saturday morning - did the cutting of the planks and install on Saturday, as well as sanding and applying the stain. Sunday, was light hand sanding and touch up stain where I thought it was needed - waited for it to dry - and applied the first coat of polyurethane before bed. Monday, got up early and applied the second coat before we took off for the week! Would DEFINITELY do this again!! - only with the 3/4" tongue and groove pine - flat side up!!!!! - just because of the cost factor ... unless someone out there can tell us where to find that CHEAP finished one side plywood!!

• Nicole Milller

Hi, I am wanting to do this in my new house but one of my carpenter friends said he would be afraid of the floor "lifting" if it happened to get wet... I am wondering if anyone has had any problems with that? He did suggest using tongue and groove so maybe that would be a better option, I just wanted to whitewash my floor instead of stain it and I am worried about getting everything blended very good with painting "after" its installed?!!

• Hermye

I would love to have this done in my kitchen. Would it be practical? Would I have to remove all the cabinets?

• Hermye
      30 minutes ago

Thank you so much. You have help me a great deal with my decision.

• Kathryn Reedy

Hi, you mention that you found tongue and groove wainscoting would be cheaper. Where did you find it? Thanks!

• SHARI B

At an Amish saw mill near us, that I didn’t even know existed until someone told me about it! But Home Depot and Lowe’s both carry it as well.

• SHARI B

Thank you very much for the nice comment! 😁

• Joanie

I love, love wood.......any type!! I love the dark stain and your work is excellent.