Kitchen Trivet on a Baking Sheet

I haven’t posted in a really long time. Life sort of crashed down on me and sucked the energy and enthusiasm that I had for crafts right out of me. I’m mostly better, and I’m trying to rediscover my joy in creating stained glass mosaics. This is my first piece since that time. Sometimes the creation felt more like a slog than a joyous journey, but I completed it, and I’m proud that I did so.
I like to keep a large coaster on my kitchen counter for hot stuff. I have several seasonal ones that I made, but I didn’t have anything that bridged Fall, football season and Christmas into Spring and Summer. This piece is created on a seldom-used heavy-duty baking tray that belonged to my Mother-in-Law. I call it Winter into Spring, and I think that it reflects my personal journey over the last couple of years as well as a mosaic journey from darkness into joyous color.
I encourage you to look around your home and repurpose items that you find. How often have we bought things at a thrift store or flea market that we have thrown away ourselves? I call it The Circle of Life, and it’s OK (who knew you would ever find a use for those old wallpaper samples from the 70’s) – but it’s more fun to give new life to things that have meaning for you and your family.
Enjoy and best wishes on your journey!
Where the magic happens
Where the magic happens
This is my work area. I have my inspiration picture and my new grinder that I'm using in this piece (although a grinder isn't necessary).
The beginning
The beginning
My pattern--drawn on with a Sharpie. Be careful if you use transparent glass to clean up your pattern marks with acetone before gluing so you won't see the lines under the glass.
Ready to grout
Ready to grout
I've completed the glass work and now I'm ready to grout.
Emerging from the darkness
Emerging from the darkness
I love charcoal colored grout! It really makes the colors pop! This was a challenge to grout since the edges were wide and I had the glass beads.
Everything's better with wine!
Everything's better with wine!
Once the main work was done it was fun to settle down outside with q-tips, a brush and a glass of wine!
Done!
Done!
An hour or so later and it's all clean, smooth and ready to be sealed.
kitchen trivet on a baking sheet, crafts, repurposing upcycling
I'm ready to enjoy this in my kitchen!

• Judy

Thank you for sharing. I am having "that kind of day" and your beautiful work filled me with joy.

• Kyp Purifoy
    30 minutes ago

You did a great job!! Congratulations on pulling yourself out of your funk! That’s not easy. We do go through “seasons” and it’s part of life.