Sharyn Diaz
Sharyn Diaz
  • La Pine, OR

Bathroom mirror redo

I cut down a large 1/4" frameless mirror which had been removed for a bathroom makeover so it was free for the taking. My sister lives in Florida and she collected a huge amount of shells and mailed them to me in Oregon so I could decorated the mirror for my beach themed bathroom. 6 tubes of E6000 glue and a finish coat of satin wipe-on poly (I did brush it on lightly to keep the shells easier to clean) and I am quite happy with my shell embellishments.
The 1st layer of shells were glued heavily to create a solid base
continue to add layers and fill in spaces a section at a time to allow the glue to setup well
I was going for a shell encrusted shore look rather than a border
Installed in the bathroom
Installed in the bathroom
Right at home
Right at home
closeup
closeup
another closeup
another closeup

• Jane Keane

How did you hang the mirror? ( Very pretty)

• Sharyn Diaz

I purchased the mounting clips from my local ACE the style is pictured below. I marked the studs for placement of the clips. Then I measured the mirror and marked the edges before I glued anything to leave space between the shells to slip the clips on. See pics 2 & 3. For added stability I made a bottom rail from scrap wood and trim (pic 4) which is also attached to the studs. The finished mirror is quite heavy.

, 2 part frame less mirror mounting clips, Clips slide down into back section of bracket and over top of mirror, Secured clip is invisible under the shells, Closeup of the rail and bottom clips

• Heliane Ripley

I love it !!! I been debating doing something similar to my bathroom mirror but didn't have the guts to do it. Now, seeing how beautiful yours turned out I'm ready to tackle mine.

• Sharyn Diaz

I am delighted to hear that and thank you :)