Celery on Your Windowsill - Lettuce Rejoice!

We're all starting to think about our gardens this year - here is a good way to get started. Grow celery and lettuce from scraps on your windowsill!
There are many things we can grow from our kitchen scraps - it's fun to watch new sprout from the old. Within a day I can see celery sprouting after I pop it into water to get it started.
This is baby lettuce from Aldis - Just cut off the bottom, sit it in water on the windowsill and eventually plant it in some good potting soil and watch it grow.
Even if you don't have a garden, this is a fun way to bring the outdoors inside. It's would be a great project for your kids or grandkids.
Here it is after growing for a few months through out the winter.
We have very short growing season in Wisconsin, so I usually get a few things started indoors in early Spring. But I wanted to see some greenery so I didn't wait till Spring this time - it's so inspiring and a good reminder that summer will eventually come.
For more details, visit Love My DIY Home at the link below. There are a great many free or cheap DIY projects that are fun and easy. Come on over to LMDH and say ,"Hello," and let me know what you are up to!
UPDATE: Check out my lunch...I ate all the baby lettuce in the picture above for lunch today! Yumm!

Val Frania {Love My DIY Home}

• Sherry R

I have tried this several times, but when I transplant to the garden, the roots vanish and the plant dies. Any suggestions? BTW ... I live in Wisconsin too.

• Sherry R

When I start seeds in the house, I just sprinkle a light dusting of cinnamon on the damp planting medium after I've planted the seed. Then I keep an eye out - if I see any sign of fungus or dampening off, I do another dusting of cinnamon.

• Ine4859389

Can I grow carrots the same as the celery?

• Marlene O'Halloran

As kids we grew carrot tops in water for our parakeets. They love to nibble on the greens.

• Kreisler

After you cut off the original stalks of celery from the top do you then trim off the bottom to open up the area that sealed during shipping and storage before you got a hold of it? Does that make sense or do you just cut off stalks then dip in root enhancer, then into water?

• Comiksitran

Hi! I'm already doing this. You just cut the stalks off for eating, leaving no less than 1 1/2" of the bottom. Then the remaining part is simply set, as is, into a dish of water. That's it, just that easy. Remember to always keep water in the dish as the roots of the plant will soon start to regrow underneath it. Have fun!