Kristina B
Kristina B
  • Pompano Beach, FL
Asked on Mar 6, 2012

new to the south Florida area and don't have a clue about native plants and flowers as I'm from Canada, Any suggestions?

Shirley MidgettSherrie SDouglas Hunt
+5

• Kristina, if you can give us an idea of how much sun you get in the areas you are looking to plant in then people can offer up some suggestions. A couple photos of the area as well will help out.

Kristina, welcome to the very different world of Florida landscaping! There is an excellent program in South Florida called "Natives for Your Neighborhood" sponsored by the Institute for Regional Conservation. You can put in your Zip Code and get a list of natives for your specific location: http://regionalconservation.org/beta/nfyn/default.asp

• Sherrie S

Kristina B, the first thing I would suggest is going to a couple local (not big box) nurseries. I have found they are knowledgeable about the wants/needs of plants and are most helpful. Do let us know what you have chosen & then post a pic.

• Stacey B

before moving up to KY, we lived in Central FL. When landscaping we bought drought resistant plants...there are many websites that can help you in your research such as: http://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-florida-usda-plant-zone-hardiness-map.php. Our local community college offered free classes on native plantings as well

• Kristina B

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

In addition to the site I gave you above, I would suggest you check out the Florida Native Plant Society at www.fnps.org and look for a local chapter. They probably have regular meetings where you can get tips growing in your exact area.

• Sherrie S

Kristina, do you only want native plants & flowers? If so, then Douglas gave the best answer. Most of us try a lot of things that work but I'm sure native plants & flowers could do much better for you.

• Shirley Midgett

Hibiscus! They grow well all over Florida and come in a wide variety. If you are far enough south, plant a navel orange tree and perhaps some other citrus for the novelty of it, beautiful year round too.