DIY Ball Jar Sconce Light

$20

Sometimes when you first renovate a space, you make hasty decisions... like picking an inexpensive wall light from the big box home improvement store. That's ok. I've been there too. This post can help you fix that and add a little farmhouse style to your wall sconce without needing an electrician. Sound good? Then read on my friend... likeaboss
Supplies: You'll need a couple of jar lids and a few mason jars. We had some vintage blue jars and old zinc lids already but you can purchase replicas at most grocery/supply stores. (Note: We removed the glass insert from the zinc lid before we started.) I like these jars. 
Basically our old light had a glass sconce that was attached by a washer. I was removing them to wash the glass when we realized how easy it would be to replace these with glass jars by cutting a hole into the lids with a pair of tin snips.
Simply cut a hole into your lid enough to fit over the threads (shown here) and then add the washer you removed from your old light and screw it in to hold the lid in place. Next add your light bulb and then screw your jar into the lid that is mounted on the light! (sorry, I forgot to snap a pic of this step)
That's it! Who knew it could be that easy to add a little farmhouse style to my inexpensive wall sconces?!? I love how it pairs with my chippy painted mirror and vanity.
We found that candle style bulbs (something a bit more narrow in dimension) work well for fitting inside the jars. We used quart jars, but you could easily do this with larger jars if it fits the space. Our tiny bathroom wouldn't allow it.
So simple, we are looking at the other sconces in our house to see which ones can be converted too!

See even more photos of this space on my blog at RobbRestyle.com.
If you like what I did with this light, then you'll never believe how I transformed this broken globe from the discount bin.

30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
Kristy Robb

• Chickchoc
    Chickchoc

Would this idea work for outdoor lights?

• Kristy Robb
      Kristy Robb

Yes, I believe it would work great - especially under a covered porch

• Paula Smith-Bullock
    Paula Smith-Bullock

All the Mason jars and lids I saw already have a hole in the top where a round metal disc fits in, to make a seal. Where do I cut the hole? Thanks for sharing your adorable idea. Absolutely love the look.
    • Jud13881658
      Jud13881658

The antique zinc lids that fit the old green or blue jars are one piece lids with a glass insert. The glass should be removed before making the hole for the light.
  • Patty
    Patty

How much light does the bulbs put out? I have a 3 light fixture over the vanity and wondered if it would put enough light out to do makeup, hair etc..

• Kathy
      Kathy

I had the same in my old house and did this. I had enough light for the vanity. I also drilled some holes around the disc to let heat out and used LED lights so the glass didn’t over heat.