Bee N
Bee N
  • Decatur, GA
Asked on Mar 6, 2012

New house, red clay yard. We'll have zoysia in front. But what can we put on the sloping side that we can walk on?

Bee NDouglas HuntErica Glasener
+9

We're not allowed to use any more impermeable material. The yard is semi-shady. We'll put bushes on the side.
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

How much space? Is it possible for you to post a picture of the area?

• 3po3

What do you mean by saying that you're not allowed to use any more impermeable material? And can you xeriscape it, and include a walkway?

Are you looking for something to create a path through the shrubs you plant?

• Bee N

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas. It's a large yard and it slopes fairly steeply. There are large trees around it causing semi-shade much of the day. Yes, we hope to xeriscape much (and use rain-barrels). But our main challenge is that we want to walk down this slope to the lower level doors and City of Decatur regulations prohibit any more impermeables, such as concrete, in our footprint. We need either permeable material, OR, PREFERABLY, A GROUNDCOVER WE CAN WALK ON. The foot-traffic wouldn't be heavy. Please give us more ideas! Many thanks.

• Erica Glasener

Bee, dwarf mondo may work if you don't have too much foot traffic. Here's a link that may be useful. http://classygroundcovers.com/cat----DwarfMondo

• Walter Reeves

Can you use stepping stones between the mondo that Erica suggests?

• Erica Glasener

Walter's idea, even better

• T D

Walter always has THE answer! I had grass on a steep slope down to the back yard and, I can't tell you how many times I ended up on my butt. Won't most plants be slippery when damp? Maybe terrace with 4"x4" pressure treated lumber and add the mondo grass and steping stones. BTW, I added a wide concrete stairway.

• Bee N

Yes, I like the idea of mondo plus non-slip stepping stones. Maybe I can find permeable or semi-permeable ones? Thanks for all your ideas and help. I really appreciate having home and gardening friends.

• Erica Glasener

Bee keep us posted on your progress.

Bee, yes, there are permeable pavers. Belgard, a big paver manufacturer, has a line of permeable pavers called Subterra Stone. I'm sure there are others as well.

• Bee N

Erica and Walter, someone just lent me your book "GEORGIA Gardener's Guide". I read through it in one sitting and immediately got on Amazon to order my own copy. It's so very helpful, and beautiful too.