Adult Coloring Book Turned Beautiful Plate!

My daughter brought me all these coloring books...so I decided to color.
Step 1 - Pick out a design

I like the rounded ones. This way you can do more with them. I found clear glass plates (with a few scratches) at the thrift store for $.20 each.
I used markers

You can also use colored pencils. The markers did run a little, but not too bad. Can you really notice?

I put a thin layer on the back of the plate. Then I stuck on the design. Once secure, I painted a layer on the paper.
Probably wouldn't use points again

The points on design were hard to keep down. Just kept using more MP.
I was bummed that there were some bubbles. I kept trying to flatten, but didn't want to rip the paper. I did poke a small pinhole in the big bubbles and tried to flatten. Not sure if that really did anything. Came back after it dried and it was completely flat!! Whoo hoo!! I put 2 coats on the back.

I let sit for a few days and then sprayed a thin coat of finish on it. Makes me feel like it's more protected.

Love it! I haven't put this out yet. I will tonight and see what the response is.

I was going to put my painted rocks on it...but then its hidden. So I'm not using the rocks on this plate, but I already have another idea :)
These were two other pics I did. I found nice frames at Goodwill for $2 each. Mats and all ;)

20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home

• Sherri Gale Rosen-Wolfe

How do you wash this? Is there something you could put on it to seal it so it is washable?

• Anne Marie Verbeke

I did this years aho with a really pretty tissue paper full of antique roses I couldn't throw away. Tore them loose with a ragged edge. Then I m.p. Them in place. After they were dry I lightly spray painted the back with metallic gold paint. It covered in the spots here and there then sealed it. Turned out beautiful and I use it for cookies .

• Laura Schwebke-Brenton

When you say back of plate, you mean the surface you'd normally eat on ? Would be cool to hang in a window or sit on window sill.

• Mom

Yes, back side. In theory, one could "eat" off the top since it's still the same glass that one would eat off anyway. It's just the design from the back shining through the glass. Only problem with eating off it is making the backside sealed off so that it can be washed off. If I used it for food at all, I'd suggest a translucent "doily" type plate cover to use on top and then maybe something like fruit or cupcakes etc where it has it's own protective packaging.

@LisaBattisti years ago an elderly friend had a hobby of painting decorative designs to the backside of glass plates such as these - she would paint the dark edges first, "outlining" the design, and then paint in the various colors. Came off a lot like stained glass. She did dishes somewhat but usually did this to back side of a pane of glass and then laid it over colored paper etc and framed it like a regular photograph.

• Jane

Love love the idea. I color to relieve stress and when my anxiety is through the roof. Will have to try this. Wonder, would a square plate with a smaller design work? Thank you for the share.

• Pat

Not a question but I found food and water safe mod podge on line and used it on personalized ice cream dishes.

• Jessie

I am going to do this! Thanks for posting it.