Patricia W
Patricia W
  • Eugene, OR

Antique glass milk jug lamp.

AnnKMS WoodworksPatricia W
+1

I found this nice gallon sized glass milk jug at my fave junk store for a few bucks. Bought the bottle lamp kit at Lowes. The stopper part, or part that fits inside the mouth of the jug was too small so I fixed it up with some weather strip tape. I bought a shade at the thrift store for less than a buck, but its too small. Id love some ideas on a suitable shade! Im planning on selling it. Im not even sure what to charge! Ive got about 16 dollars into it with the lamp kit. Id love input! Thank you!!!
q antique glass milk jug lamp, lighting
  • KMS Woodworks

This depends on what you think your time is worth and what your local market will bear. lamps are quite variable in designs and style and I've seen them run from about 20 bucks to 100, for stuff in a similar vein. then again other lamps can command much higher prices. http://www.lightinguniverse.com/table-lamps/hampstead-lighting-goto-table-lamp_g326279.html?linkloc=cataLogProductItemsName personally I can't seen see why one would have a "need" for $1200 lamp.

• Patricia W

Thank you KMS, Ive decided to just put a shade on it, nothing in it because that would mean cutting into the glass. I do not want to disturb the intergrity of the glass. The top is removable if the buyer wants to take it off, but some things are better left in the shape I find them in. Ive decided to put a morning new clipping on the shade. The milk man arrived early, maybe then the front page of an old news story from the period. I think Dad would have been at the breakfast table, reading the news and having milk in his coffee when the milk man arrived.. That's what I see.

• KMS Woodworks

You could put some "white" sand in the jug to give it a little ballast and "appear" a bit like milk. I have also seen these clear glass containers filled with colored glass beads and such.

• Ann

The shape and size of the glass remind me of a old hospital suction jar. The larger sized ones would have been used during surgery.