How to Make a Garden Plate Flower Wind Chime

$5

Spring is just around the corner and at this time of the year I love to start thinking about fun items for the garden like wind chimes and garden plate flowers.

For this project I decided to combine the two.

I went into my stashes to find my supplies for this project.

Here's what I used to put it together... a silver tray, a glass flower shaped dish, some silver tone chain, some silver split rings, silver plate teaspoons, and my power drill.

The blue glass candle holder piece is from another project that I took apart years ago. It's decorated with blue glass beads, and the clear glass candle holder that's glued inside it has an earring glued in its centre.

The first thing I did was figure out where I wanted my spoons to hang. I lined them up with the silver tray and marked where I wanted my holes to be with a sharpie.

Using a 3/32" drill bit specifically for metal I drilled my holes.

Then I threaded on my split rings.

Once the split rings are attached to the tray the chains are then threaded onto the split rings.

And split rings are added to the holes at the tops of the spoons. The holes are drilled into the silver plates spoons the same way as the tray.

Two lengths of the same chain are used as hangers at the top of the chime. They're both threaded onto a key ring.

Now that the wind chime part is done it's time to glue the plate flower pieces together. I use Marine GOOP adhesive for most of my outdoor projects. It's used in boat repair and is UV and water resistant.

You can see the glue on the bottom of the blue candle holder. The trick is to not use too much, and to kinda swivel pieces a bit to make sure that the two pieces actually come into contact.

Here's the flower all glued together. It should be allowed to cure for at least 24 hours before hanging.

I add a glass chandelier crystal to every wind chime I make.

I already had these hand metal stamped spoons on hand, but the spoons don't have to be stamped at all.

My spoons, from left to right, read peace, joy, love, faith, and hope in french.

To see a tutorial on how to flatten, drill, and hand stamp silverware see my Hand Stamped Spoon Bookmark

Here's a side view so you can see the dimension of the plate flower.

And here's my finished garden plate flower wind chime.

It can hang high up on a deck or a porch like a wind chime, or from a shepherd's hook right in the garden like a plate flower. Either way you will enjoy the lovely music of the silverware chimes.

If you enjoyed this project you can find more DIY Repurposed Wind Chime Projects here.

• Misc plates and dishes  (thrift store)
  • Silverplate teaspoons  (thrift store)
  • Marine goop adhesive  (amazon)

25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
Color Me Thrifty

• Dl.5660408
    Dl.5660408

Do the spoons need to be flattened to have a pleasant sound?

• Sally-jo Oellig Altick
      Sally-jo Oellig Altick

I place mine on a board on my workbench, laying one side of a towel over the board, lay the spoon on the covered board, fold the other side of the towel to cover the spoon and hold another board atop the spoon. Using a mallet, pound flat! 💞

• Freida Brooks
    Freida Brooks

I love it! But where do you get a plate flower?

• Gina
      Gina

You make the plate flower with thrift store items. You can get glass and crystal for $1 and earring center she said.

• AJ
    AJ

How did you hold the spoons still to drill and did you use a nail to "dimple" them first? I have tried to do this but have never been successful. Thanks.

• Nancy
      Nancy

Do you have a advice that sits on work table put your spoons in it make it tight put your drill bet into it

• Jan
    Jan

Does your goop glue hold up outside we get an enormous amount of rain and my garden art falls apart

• Color Me Thrifty
      Color Me Thrifty

It does in my area Jan, but it might not be the same in yours. It's not just the rain, but also humidity, heat and sunlight that can affect the glue. If it were me I would try making one without any expectations and just enjoy it however long it lasts. If you have cold and snowy winters like I do definitely take it in for the winter.

• Joanie
    Joanie

I love chimes and these are beautiful......I hope you get a pretty sound. Good Luck!