Gorgeous Spring Fabric Birdcages

Spring makes me think of birds so I decided to make some lovely birdcage decorations by upcycling some old wire coat hangers. This is a very easy cheap fun craft. The birdcages would also make a lovely gift.
All you need is 2 old wire coat hangers, Fabric scraps Old small flan dish or piece of cardboard would do if you don't have this. Wire cutters, duct tape and glue.
First you will need to cut your coat hangers and bend into a more rectangular shape.
Cut the hook off your second coat hanger and secure both hangers together in a cross shape using duct tape.
Tear your fabric into strips, paste with glue on the wrong side and wrap round the wire. Overlapping as you go round until all the wire is covered.
Cover whatever you are using with fabric and glue this to the base.
Now all you need is to add a bird and a swing perch. I made my perch out of a twig and some twine. You can make your own birds or buy them from your local craft or dollar store.
These birdcages make a great gift and are easy for children to make once you have helped them with a frame. They can be personalised by using a favourite old shirt or blouse of the recipient.
If you like these you'd love the fabric birdhouses I made last year. Again these were made with fabric scraps and stuff you have round the house.

Claire at Pillarboxblue