Fence Picket A/C Unit Cover

115K Views
EDITED TO ADD: Thank you all for your concern of our unit not being able to breath. We have had our a/c man over to check it out and he says it has plenty of room to breath and he approves of the cover. :)
Do you have an ugly air conditioning unit sitting in your yard? Yes? We did too, but now we have an awesome cover up for it! We used some old wooden fence pickets to create a more eye pleasing surround for our ugly old unit. Please come on over to our blog and see how we put it together for very little money!
Time: 2.5 HoursCost: $10.00Difficulty: Medium
  • fence picket a c unit cover, curb appeal, diy, fences, how to, repurposing upcycling, And the after look using free fence pickets
And the after look using free fence pickets
  • fence picket a c unit cover, curb appeal, diy, fences, how to, repurposing upcycling, This was the ugly unit before its makeover
This was the ugly unit before its makeover!
  • fence picket a c unit cover, curb appeal, diy, fences, how to, repurposing upcycling, The river rock base the cover sits on
The river rock base the cover sits on.
  • fence picket a c unit cover, curb appeal, diy, fences, how to, repurposing upcycling, Remember to leave lots of breathing room for your unit
Remember to leave lots of breathing room for your unit!

Suggested materials for this project:

DeeDee

Want more details about this project and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!

Ask a Question
      • SLS Construction & Building Solutions LLC
        SLS Construction & Building Solutions LLC Naperville, IL

I go say that looks really nice but I also got to state that you should really consider taking it down. There should be a minimum of 2' all around those intakes / fins to allow the compressor to work properly & not tax the equipment. If you were to extend it out to meet those minimums (check with the manufacturer) that would not only be fine and might even improve the equipment's efficiency by shading it. As an FYI, this also applies to plants / shrubbery

• La Mac
            La Mac Tulsa, OK

Agree. We just got a new unit installed. I wanted to do something to hide it. They told me absolutely no.. The unit needs to breath. No obstruction. Would void my warranty..

• DeeDee
            DeeDee Decatur, TX

Thanks for the tips @SLS Construction Solutions! May I ask if you visited our blog and read the post? Although its not stated in the post, we made sure to do our research first before we came up with the end design. The model of a/c unit we have calls for 1 to 3 foot of clearance on all sides. We have a foot on each side and a foot and a half in the front with the entire back and top being open not to mention the openings between each fence picket.