"Hello" Springtime Metal and Pallet Wood Sign

$15.00

Spring is the perfect time of the year to refresh your space, including your front door. My front door was in need of something new. So instead of a wreath, I decided on a pallet wood sign.
Visit TwoPurpleCouches.com and search "Springtime Metal and Pallet Wood Sign" for the full step-by-step tutorial. Or scroll to the bottom of this post and click on the link.
I made my own pallet wood sign, but a store-bought sign or background would also work.
My sign measures about 27.5" long.
I love the look of wood and metal together, so I decided to stain my pallet wood sign. I used two light coats of Minwax Polyshades in Bombay Mahogany.
Once the stain was completely dry, I was ready to add these galvanized metal letters I found at Michaels and finally, to embellish the sign with a few faux flowers and butterflies.
Find my original blog post here:

Emily @ Two Purple Couches

• Debbie Nance

How much were the metal letters? I'd love to make one for our house and all 7 of our kids homes as well.

• Hildegarde

Hi, I think this idea is so simple and yet so fabulous, I might want to grab it and so something similar. My fear is that the sign bangs the door every time the door opens, doesn't it? Did you also nail the sign to the front door?

• Sue

You could use the sticky stuff that you hang posters with on the back of the sign to stick it to the door at the corners.

• Deb Rowbottom

Did you glue the metal side to the wood? And how did you get rid of the foam lines?

• Jeani Miller Miner

the foam is on the backside, filling in the dead space, that gave her a more solid surface to glue to the sign

• Gwennie

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with the above comment that it would be reported???

• Janet Fales

someone might of clicked a wrong button. The answer of course is correct about the foam and if one read closely they would of seen that!

• Dee

Very Unique and I love it. So refreshing to see something other than a wreath. What are the size of the letters? Did you put anything on the back to protect your door from chipping. I think I would have added some foam backing. Anyways LOVE IT

• Emily @ Two Purple Couches

Thank you, Dee! The letters are about 3.75" high and about 3" - 4" wide, depending on the individual letter. I put several strips of sticky-back felt on the back of the sign so it won't scratch up my door.

• MK

This is just unique and awesome idea for a front or back door.. good job!

• Jan Shoemaker

What kind of glue did you use in your hot glue gun? I know foam melts with hot glue. Thank You. I love it and want to do myself.

• Emily @ Two Purple Couches

Hi @Jan , I used regular hot glue; it did melt the foam just a bit, but I tried to work quickly. If the hot glue doesn't hold up well, I will re-attached the letters with another adhesive.

• Jan Shoemaker

Thanks, just love this idea.

• Samona

I'm currently getting ready to do my bedroom with my husband and I initials, but having a hard time with what I want to do with them. Any suggestions??

• Emily @ Two Purple Couches

@Samona I usually check Pinterest or Hometalk for inspiration; you could do anything from painting them to covering them with fabric. I also like to browse the aisles of craft stores to look for embellishments. Hope this helps :)

• Jennifer Loman Hartmann

About how much was everything

• Emily @ Two Purple Couches

I spent about $15 on the letters and butterflies; I already had the wood on hand to make the sign, and the flowers were left over from other projects.