Industrial Whimsy Equals Spring Rustic Wreath

When I saw this old rusty thing in the antique store, I just knew it would make a cute wreath (and a great project for the blog hop), and with a little help from Mom (she's the most awesome bow maker I know) and a few adders from Michaels (all on sale), we came up with this super cute Easter wreath that brings a bit of whimsy to this industrial find.
This rusty old thing once housed a medium-gauge wire, known only because there was still a bit left behind, and I decided to leave the wire on the spool for authenticity's sake. A not-so-quick trip to Michael's supplied all the other goodies for this wreath, including some grapevine wrapped carrots, cute orange ribbon, a metal painted bunny and a magnetic wooden initial letter. Now let me tell you, picking out all my goodies for this project was by far the most time-consuming and difficult task of this whole thing. Once I got all the parts and pieces home, Mom and I put everything together with a bit of floral wire and a dab of hot glue, and that was all it took.
I picked the orange ribbon because the carrots weren't orange and that just didn't seem right. The bow also adds some much-needed color to the project and who doesn't just love polka dots. The magnetic initial letter was a bonus since it stuck right to the metal rabbit I found. Of course, it's our family initial, but I'm thinking some folks might think it stands for "spring," and I'm okay with that. Although you can't see much of the carrots, I really like those rustic veggies and think the grapevine kind of mimics the wire on the spool. I gotta say I'm pretty in love with the way this little rustic wreath turned out.
I hope you enjoyed my little stop on the DIY My Spring! blog hop sponsored by Hometalk. You can find other great spring ideas at
I bought this spool at an antique store for $8.00. . . not the best bargain, but it turned into a great find!
With a few items from the local craft store (all on sale), the rusty spool became a whimsy wreath.
Another view of the finished product hanging on my mom's door. Is the "S" our last name or does it stand for "Spring?"
A close up of the spool adorned with grapevine carrots, orange ribbon, a metal rabbit and magnetic initial letter.

Small Talk Mama

• Tami

You did great, and you salvaged an antique!!! Your creativity is spot on girl!! I love it tens times better than a traditional wreath, and it's definitely an eye catcher!!!
  • Elizabeth

I think it’s wonderful! If you can’t find a spool like yours, maybe an antique fan cover would work... I love your idea!