Madeline C
Madeline C
Asked on Mar 8, 2012

What could cause two separate fire alarm systems to go off concurrently ?

Stuart MMadeline C3po3
+5

The other night both our hard wired system to the security company and our battery operated system went off. The F.D. Came and there was no fire and no smoke. Incidentally, both kept going off for about 20 minutes. The alarm company kept calling us.....
  • Tammie W

did the battery operated trip the hardwire perhaps? sometimes if I bake in the oven too long say a roast or chicken (with opening and closing the oven more then I should) I think the heat drifts up the stairs and trips our battery operated ( occasionally) ...but it doesn't trip the hardwire alarm. Hmmm...thats a mystery. Has it happened before?

• 3po3

Have you been remodeling? I have heard (yeah, I find it hard to believe, too, but I've heard) that paint fumes and remodeling dust can set off sensitive modern fire alarms.

• Madeline C

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas. Actually Steve my husband had been shaking a laser toner to see if he could get more ink a couple of hours before. If that was it is still strange that both went off

• 3po3

Did someone take a particularly steamy shower, or did humidity somehow spike right before the alarms went off?

• Madeline C

No, the sensors aren't near the bathroom.

• 3po3

Still, the steam could travel to the alarms. Sounds like maybe a freaky glitch. Clean out both alarms and make sure there is not dust or insects tripping them.

• Madeline C

The firemen checked and cleaned the alarms upstairs. My husband is going to clean the ones downstairs. I was taking a shower on the main level at the time, but why this time and not others? Freaky glitch.....

• Stuart M

They probably just had a build up of dust over time and when you took a shower it was just the final thing it took to cause a false alarm. Smoke alarms should be replaced after 8 to 10 years. Side note; use lithium 9volt batteries they have a life span of ten years, say good bye to the beeping at midnight warning you to change the battery. www.brightenelectric.net