How to Make A Basket of Blooms for Your Front Door

$30

I am so ready to welcome spring but didn't want to make a run-of-the-mill spring wreath for my door. I decided to finally put a basket I bought four years ago to use and make a basket of blooms!
First things first. Choose a basket for your display. Any basket that will sit flat against the door will do. An antique wicker fishing basket would look great! Decide on your color scheme and choose your flowers. I purchased silk flowers from Michael's in shades of green and a peachy/pink.
Since my basket was cone shaped I set it into another basket to keep it upright while I worked. I taped grids along the top to add support for the flower stems and to keep them from falling over.
You will need wire cutters to cut the stems to length. I started with the most prominent color, the lime green hydrangia's and arranged them within the taped grid, varying the height just a bit. I then added the one large dahlia bloom, leaving it a bit longer than the hydrangia's.
Next, simply arrange the accent colored blooms throughout the base color, varying the height of the blooms, and bending the wire stems to direct the flowers exactly where you want them. I wired up some of the extra foilage from the stems and placed them throughout.
I didn't want to make a whole in the screen door so I used an 'S' hook to hang it from the top cross bar. It fit just snug enough that it won't move when the door is open or closed.
And there you have a gorgeous display to welcome spring into your home!

Red Cottage Chronicles

• Aditi Sharma

This beautiful basket of blooms can really impress guests providing a welcoming touch to your home, while making them feel special.

• Red Cottage Chronicles

Thank you! A couple of times I have almost watered it when I was watering the real plants on my porch :)

• Allison

pink and green- best colors ever! thanks for the "hanging" tip. that's where I always struggle.