Jeannie S
Jeannie S
  • Fayetteville, GA
Asked on Mar 8, 2012

What can I use to clean dusty carpet areas along the baseboards?

KMS WoodworksBernice HAnnie H
+13

• KMS Woodworks

I use my upholstery brush on my vac....though I have to admit i'm a bit behind schedule...some of those dust bunnies are having kids.

• Jeannie S

This dirty job is going to need more than a vacuum.

• KMS Woodworks

Some carpet cleaning rental places have special hand held "edge" tools. This is the next line of attack.

• Judy V

I use a broom then vac.

• EXOVATIONS

Kudzu posted a "big deal" this week to get carpets cleaned for $49! You might want to check and see if they still have that. It was for 5 rooms and 2 hallways! :) Candice, EXOVATIONS

• Jeannie S

Thanks everyone. I'll probably try all the above.

• JP S

I use the crevice tool on my vacuum,I have to go over it several times,also my carpet cleaner has little brushes on the side. I just cleaned the carpet in my basement,it is a light color and was dirty-worked great.Good luck!!

• More than likely that dark line around your baseboards results from an imbalance in the number of returns for your hvac system. The system is drawing air around the gaps under the baseboard...and the dust with it. You may want to have a local hvac company check that for you on their next service call.

• Tracy W

I use a good old fashioned whisk broom and then a vacuum brush. Then I brush the carpet with a wet towel to get any remaining dirt up and simply throw the towel in the wash. Good luck!

• Bernice H

@Handy Andy...I have a vent in a bedroom, my carpet is apricot color..and around the vent the carpet is black...do you think what you said applies here?

• KMS Woodworks

Bernice...your dirt seems to fit in with Handy's statement about air flow...When was the last time you checked / swapped out your HVAC filters?

• Tami Mishel L

Tooth brush and carpet cleaner!

• Bernice H

@KMS and HAndy...sorry it took so long for this reply, off on vacation. I change the filter almost every month...this is in a bedroom hardly ever used. Even the professional carpet cleaners couldnt get it out.

• Annie H

time consuming, but it works - use a toothbrush to loosen the dirt and then you can just vacuum up, works for me!

• Bernice H

Ouch, I am sure a toothbrush would work well, but how about a hard bristle broom? No bending.... or a Whisk broom? Do they even make them anymore? Why do they call them a whisk broom? Am I full of questions today or what?

• KMS Woodworks

Bernice Whisk....it seems to have middle English origin from the mid 1300's http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/whisk