File Cabinet Flip

We needed some extra storage in our office area for files and paperwork. It's a more formal space so the traditional metal file cabinet would be a real eye sore. And... with no closet to tuck it away, I needed to find a way to hide the file cabinet in plain site. This makeover was simple and changed the look of this $20 Craigslist find completely! (My last file cabinet makeover was in Better Homes and Gardens... you can take a peek at that one here!)

Believe it or not, this file cabinet was $20 and DEFinitely not worthy of prime time floor space in our home office until I gave it a makeover!

I was looking for a file cabinet with removable hardware and one that wasn't super deep.

The hardware got a coat of gold spray paint.

To make it feel more like a piece of furniture, I added legs also!

A credit card was my most useful tool with this project as I used wood grain contact paper to cover the ugly metal. I painted the drawer fronts with chalk paint.

Looks MUCH more fitting for a room like this than the dented metal one I came home with!

To see some of the other furniture makeovers I've done thanks to Craigslist, visit my page full of Furniture Fixer uppers.

It still looks like a file cabinet, but... like I said, with some contact paper and chalk paint, it fits into this formal office area a *little* better! Click my blog link below for source list to materials I used for this makeover!
Stop by and say hi! At Charlotte's House

Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
At Charlotte's House

• She16902363
    She16902363

Raleigh, NC
    I'm with "Shopper530"....how did u get the dent out of top drawer? I have filing cabinets just like these and they have dents on front and sides.
  • She16902363
    She16902363

How did you get the dent out of top drawer? I have filing cabinets just like these and they have dents on front and sides. Raleigh, NC

• Kri24004745
      Kri24004745

use an auto dent puller they work great on dents on metal

• Jaye
    Jaye

What are your plans for redoing the chest of drawers? It too is a beauty.