File Cabinet Flip

We needed some extra storage in our office area for files and paperwork. It's a more formal space so the traditional metal file cabinet would be a real eye sore. And... with no closet to tuck it away, I needed to find a way to hide the file cabinet in plain site. This makeover was simple and changed the look of this $20 Craigslist find completely! (My last file cabinet makeover was in Better Homes and Gardens... you can take a peek at that one here!)
file cabinet flip, chalk paint, home office, organizing, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, storage ideas

Believe it or not, this file cabinet was $20 and DEFinitely not worthy of prime time floor space in our home office until I gave it a makeover!

I was looking for a file cabinet with removable hardware and one that wasn't super deep.

The hardware got a coat of gold spray paint.

To make it feel more like a piece of furniture, I added legs also!

A credit card was my most useful tool with this project as I used wood grain contact paper to cover the ugly metal. I painted the drawer fronts with chalk paint.

Looks MUCH more fitting for a room like this than the dented metal one I came home with!

To see some of the other furniture makeovers I've done thanks to Craigslist, visit my page full of Furniture Fixer uppers.

It still looks like a file cabinet, but... like I said, with some contact paper and chalk paint, it fits into this formal office area a *little* better! Click my blog link below for source list to materials I used for this makeover!
Stop by and say hi! At Charlotte's House

At Charlotte's House

• Linda Sikut

How did you fix the dent? Or does it just not show with the update?

• She16902363

Raleigh, NC
    I'm with "Shopper530"....how did u get the dent out of top drawer? I have filing cabinets just like these and they have dents on front and sides.
  • She16902363

How did you get the dent out of top drawer? I have filing cabinets just like these and they have dents on front and sides. Raleigh, NC

• Kri24004745

use an auto dent puller they work great on dents on metal

• Andre Gouin

Nice job and here people put them at the end of there driveway for free

• Momo s
    30 minutes ago

Not necessarily related, but I have to say that I have almost that same dresser down to the two key holes. My top two drawers are reversed and I have wooden knobs of the same finish as the dresser though.