Trays Makeover: French Trays With Changeable Signs (inserts)

I'm sure you all have some trays around your home that could use a little attention.
I had an old set of three old and ugly trays that cried for attention :) So I decided to transform them into French made beauties with a little bit of chalk paint and some MDF boards as inserts. You can easily remove the MDF boards / signs / inserts and also use them as decorative pieces all around your home.
I used waterslide decal paper to transfer the beautiful French graphics and I loved the final result.
You can find all the steps on my blog, have fun creating! :)
http://www.bydreamsfactory.com/2016/03/diy-french-trays-with-changeable-signs.html/
The really really really ugly before :)
Cut the MDF boards /inserts to size
Measure again and again so that you can easily slide them in
Paint the MDF boards
If you want to create a Shabby chippy look, you will need two contrasting colors and some candle wax. Because my trays were already black, I skipped the first layer of dark paint and just rubbed some candle wax on the edges. Then I painted the trays with chalk paint.
After the paint dried, I distress the edges with a 180 grit sand paper.
I printed the French graphics on decals
And applied them on the MDF boards.... and I instantly loved the new French signs / inserts for my trays.
I slided those cuties right in ...
And enjoyed a coconut oil coffee in my new set of French trays :)

Diana | Dreams Factory

• Mike

How do you get the decals?
    New to this and don't understand :)
    • Diana | Dreams Factory

I printed the decals myself, you can find more details about the whole process on my blog.
      You can usually find decals on Amazon or on craft stores and you can use them to print your favorites images. Then you can beautifully decorate different objects around your home.
  • Tammy

How do you get the wax off after you paint? These are beautiful and I absolutely love the French decor/decals!!!

• Diana | Dreams Factory

The wax stays in (between the two contrasting layers of paint), you don't get it off - it will help you when distressing, after the paint has dried.