Ivylore
Ivylore
  • Trenton, MI

Growing Lemon Tree From Seeds

Update; February 2017- I am so pleased that my lemon tree continues to grow after planting lemon seeds from a lemon that I had in the refrigerator! The lemon tree is now at least 4 feet tall and has grown another branch! Love it!!!

Have always wanted a lemon tree, but cannot grow here in Michigan. After seeing a post in Pinterest about growing a lemon tree in a pot, I decided to try it. (April 2013) Of course my seeds were nothing like the pictures. I only had about four seeds; they were small; and they came from an "old" lemon. I put them in the baggie in the wet paper towel just like the instructions said and put it in the window for a few weeks. Nothing- no sign of any little root growing! I decided to just go ahead and plant them as they were in some dirt and just put them near a window. I had forgotten all about them until one morning when lo and behold: four little plants growing! Isn't nature AMAZING! I have my lemon tree after all!
UPDATE: March 30, 2015- Of all the seeds I originally planted, I now have one plant remaining. See picture below. It is healthy and strong and still growing!
Feb 2017- my little lemon tree has grown a second branch!!!
My little lemon tree has grown a branch!!! Love it!
March 30, 2015- Over 2ft. tall!
March 30, 2015- Over 2ft. tall!

My how you've grown! 2 years old! Now a little over 2 feet tall :)
First lemon seeds growing in the pot!!! 2013

Seedlings still growing! Summer 2013
Seedlings still growing! Summer 2013

Only 3 still growing on Sept. 2, 2013
Only 3 still growing on Sept. 2, 2013

growing lemon tree from seeds, gardening

The lone survivor one year later (April 2014)! About 5 inches tall! Love it!

Sept 2014- over 12 in tall- had to repot! Likes the sunny spot in the window.

• Anne Sawyer

I think I saw the same pin you did and tried it. It took several weeks before I got seedlings but they are about 8" tall now. I thought it would much longer than it did before I saw progress!

• Ivylore

@Anne Sawyer Wow! That is great! Plus, you're in Florida, so they should get a lot more sunshine than mine will. Hopefully you will have some of your own lemons in a few years:)

• Mary

I too live in Michigan and have always wanted a lemon tree. I just started some in a glass with water and pea gravel. We'll see how it works.

• Ivylore

@Mary Hi There Neighbor :) Good luck with your lemon seeds! Hope they grow big and beautiful!