Before & After: Renovating a 100+ Year Old Southern Charm Fixer Upper

When Canadian Esther de Wolde decided to checkmark her dream of renovating an old southern home off her bucket list, I bet she had no clue how harrowing her journey would be. But with the stress of the remodel came the joy of discovering a love of the Deep South, it's people and their stories. Follow along on the journey of Esther's renovation of this turn-of-the-century beauty that had fallen into a state
before after renovating a 100 year old southern charm fixer upper, bathroom ideas, bedroom ideas, home improvement, kitchen design
Here is the home when Esther purchased it. Overgrown and unkept, it badly needed attention and love.
Here is the back of the house before.
The front porch before renovations began.
This is the original kitchen before the demolition and remodel. Wait until you see the jawdropping AFTER.
The bathroom BEFORE. Mold, mildew and rust were waiting under layers of dust.
Every room was in utter despair. The paint was peeling from the plaster. The doors were falling off the hinges.
And now, the AFTER! Here is the front porch after renovations. A new copper gaslight pendant, new windows with retractable screens, and new haint-blue paint updated this area beautifully.
Welcome to the newly remodeled and completely renovated Southern Romance House in Mobile, Alabama!
The STUNNING new kitchen! Can you believe this was the same room that was shown in the Before photo?
They added floor to ceiling custom cabinetry with tons of glass front doors and custom lighting installed. A new island and window seat makes this room incredibly inviting.
She framed the original faucet, drain and plumbing pipe above the clawfoot tub! I love this so much.
What was once a dilapidated room, the Master Suite became a beautiful and comfortable retreat after the renovation.
But, my absolute favorite part of the house is the back porch.
Seriously, how's this for Incredible! Esther is the CEO of Phantom Screens, a Canadian company that produces window screens that makes retractable screens that can turn open-air porches into enclosed rooms with the touch of a button. To say that she knows how to create a magical outdoor living space is a bit of an understatement, but this one was just truly fantastic. That rope-swing combined with the Phantom retractable screens was the perfect combination for any kind of weather.
And the other half of the porch was equally impressive, with double retractable screen doors leading outside from the kitchen.
The difference after the renovation is like night and day. The updated home is so magical, and has so many stories to tell. I invite you all to read all about the transformation of this beautiful old home at http://experiencephantom.com/
If you are an old-home lover, this is a MUST SEE. The full details about the history of the home are just incredible.
It's got quite a story to tell.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE!
Beth at Unskinny Boppy

• Car12967749

How much money the entire renovation cost and how much was the house

• Jud7872415

Mosquitoes are like the heat and humidity, we (southerners)adapt. They are attracted to sweet fragrances so no perfume/after shave if we're going to be outside very long. We plant lemon balm, garlic and onion chives and marigolds in the yard and in pots on the patio and front porch. Deer don't like them, either. As I get older I tend to wait til after sunset to sit outside and we use fans to "stir" the air.

• Maggie Smith

The renovation is beautiful! I went to the link, also. The pictures there didn't answer my questions.

I have two questions, though. Was the bathroom sink used for the remodel? It has such character.

Is the space at the top of the kitchen cabinets used, or are they false fronts? My parents kitchen cabinets went to the ceilling for storage of little used items.

Thanks,

• Claire

Beautiful job! Congrats!
    What paint color was used in the kitchen and the master bedroom?

• Marion Nesbitt

How fulfilling to give an old lady, down on her luck, back her pearls.

• Rel6105355

Beautiful!!! I wish that some of the after photos were taken from the same vantage point as the before photos, to give a sense of how it changed. I would also be interested in more bathroom after photos. It's truly inspiring as we own a 104 year-old bungalow in, not too far away from you, Lynn Haven FL in the panhandle. I'm definitely interested in the phantom screens. What a fantastic transformation!