Starlette's of the Shade Garden

Think those sunny gardens have all the fun? That big drama can only be accomplished in full sun? Not true! Here are a few of the Drama Queens kicking up a fuss in my shade/pt shade garden.
starlette s of the shade garden, flowers, gardening, Meconopsis Grandis or Blue Asiatic Poppy can be difficult to site It needs loose well drained fertile soil in part shade Once established it will bloom like gangbusters for you every June July
Meconopsis Grandis or Blue Asiatic Poppy can be difficult to site, It needs loose, well drained fertile soil in part shade. Once established it will bloom like gangbusters for you every June/July.
starlette s of the shade garden, flowers, gardening, Hellebore are a wonderful winter early spring perennial in the shade garden This one is particularly beautiful I ran across it at VanDusen Botanical gardens and have been unable to identify the variety of this double bloom
Hellebore are a wonderful winter/early spring perennial in the shade garden. This one is particularly beautiful. I ran across it at VanDusen Botanical gardens and have been unable to identify the variety of this double bloom.
starlette s of the shade garden, flowers, gardening, Tricyrtus Toad Lily is a unique perennial in the shade garden It blooms from late summer to fall with spectacular orchid like blooms
Tricyrtus Toad Lily is a unique perennial in the shade garden. It blooms from late summer to fall with spectacular orchid like blooms.
starlette s of the shade garden, flowers, gardening, Epimedium sulphureum pink is a fab clump forming semi evergreen perennial that does well in dry shade Yes I said it DRY SHADE You re welcome
Epimedium sulphureum pink is a fab clump forming semi evergreen perennial that does well in dry shade. Yes, I said it! DRY SHADE! You're welcome.
starlette s of the shade garden, flowers, gardening, Hosta s are a staple of our West Coast shade gardens There are so many varieties you can literally pick your favorite flavor I m partial to Proven Winners Hudson Bay with its tri coloured leaves They look fab in summer bouquets
Hosta's are a staple of our West Coast shade gardens. There are so many varieties, you can literally pick your favorite flavor. I'm partial to Proven Winners Hudson Bay, with its tri coloured leaves. They look fab in summer bouquets.
starlette s of the shade garden, flowers, gardening, Brunnera macrophylla Jack Frost grows excellently in my shade garden Like a hosta it has beautifully detailed foliage It also send out shoot of wonderful blue flowers in spring that remind me of forget me not s
Brunnera macrophylla 'Jack Frost' grows excellently in my shade garden. Like a hosta it has beautifully detailed foliage. It also send out shoot of wonderful blue flowers in spring that remind me of forget-me-not's.
starlette s of the shade garden, flowers, gardening, White cyclamen prefer cool shade Although often sold as a houseplant this woodland perennial does nicely in the garden as well
White cyclamen prefer cool shade. Although often sold as a houseplant this woodland perennial does nicely in the garden as well.
starlette s of the shade garden, flowers, gardening, Trillium Flexipes has large white flowers that bloom in mid spring They re only visible for a short time before their stalks bend and the flower disappears behind the foliage hence their common name Bent Trillium or Drooping Trillium
Trillium Flexipes has large white flowers that bloom in mid spring. They're only visible for a short time before their stalks bend and the flower disappears behind the foliage, hence their common name Bent Trillium or Drooping Trillium.
starlette s of the shade garden, flowers, gardening, This annual Coleus from Proven Winners grows from sun to part shade and bring fantastic colour and texture into the shade garden
This annual Coleus from Proven Winners grows from sun to part shade, and bring fantastic colour and texture into the shade garden.
starlette s of the shade garden, flowers, gardening, Hellebores Onyx Odyssey another stunning double hellebores for late spring and into summer in the shade garden Pair this beauty with light or bright coloured blooms for added drama
Hellebores Onyx Odyssey another stunning double hellebores for late spring and into summer in the shade garden. Pair this beauty with light or bright coloured blooms for added drama.
Laura Thomas

• Bobbie Mann

The Blue Poppies, i have these, tell me how to plant with care?

• Jean Smooth

What gardening zone do you live in and what made them difficult to start?

• A. Ballard

Ok I have one Q.....and you probably have never encountered, but how can I eliminate toads and frogs from coming into my flowers? I hate them, (phobia). I mow them over, and I carry a spade around the yard with me just in case I run across one. Yes, I chop 'em up.

• NEESIE BELLE

That's scary

• Joyce

What, the toads and frogs or the spade?

• Nekko8

Toads and frogs eat slugs and bugs! Some toads and frogs are becoming extinct which means more slugs and bugs. So which would you rather have?

• A. Ballard

I'd rather have the bugs. It would be just fine if the toads n frogs all became extinct. So back to my original query.....how can I eliminate them in my flowers?

• Linda

poor toads

• Thebakers47

Phobias can be cured.

• A. Ballard

Sure, if you have buckets of dollars.

• Linda

They serve a purpose....killing them is is just plain WRONG!! Can't you find a kind sole to relocate them for you???

• Mari Cunningham

What if you built a chicken wire dome over the plants and see if the toads and frogs move on to another garden. I would work on getting their food sources out of the area as well so that means finding a way to reduce flies, slugs, crickets, etc. This may take a few weeks or months, but most will get the idea to move on. Please do not blame the frogs and toads for your phobia - try to work around it to get a solution that saves the lives of the "good pests" around you. Good luck!

• A. Ballard

I don't see how the demise of toads/frogs is any different than setting beer out for slugs to kill them or swatting flies or skeeters. Wrong? I have to laugh at that. The personification of these amphibians in cartoons or cute images has somehow put them on the do not kill list. All creatures serve a purpose....even mosquitos....but no one gasps or has a funeral for them. God gave us dominion over creatures. It's not torture. I don't cast blame for this phobia. I just don't want these critters in close proximity. Only one of you has looked past your shock long enough to offer a solution. Thank you Mari, I will try that. And I suppose shooting Bambi from my back door and filling my freezer is somehow more "wrong" than those packages of meat bought in the grocery. (Rhetorical)

• Connie

Sprinkle cayenne pepper all around. They won't want it in them. Yet if it does get on them it won't kill them or hurt them, but it will make them stay away. They can then be safe & you can enjoy your flowers. Don't use your bare hands & don't get it near your eyes. It pretty much works for anything that would harm gardens. It's natural & causes no harm!

• A. Ballard

Thanks Connie. Don't know why I didn't think of that.....I've done that to keep the neighbor's dogs out of my hosta's.

• Connie

Your so welcome!

• Carolyn

The cayenne pepper will also deter dogs from digging in flower beds, I'm told. Giving it a try.

• Annette

Soul not sole (fish). Sorry, English teacher.

• Anne D

lol @Annette

• Jaime McBrady

I definitely like the cayenne pepper method. I also like the idea of spraying Dawn detergent diluted with water on the plants first to activate the pepper and get it to "stick" around after a rain. Sometimes I add chili oil and shake it up in the spray bottle. Sorry for the frogs.

• Carrie Hawk

Is the blue poppy a perennial?

• Carolyn Noyer

Can the blue Asia tic poppies be kept in pots or do they have to be planted?

• Anne D

not sure on this ?? I have had good luck with mine in ground..but have lots of seed pods now so I'll give it a try in the spring and see If they do..Sure hope someone can answer your question..Good Luck

• 1less project

it depends on what zone you're in. I'm in the prairie region and they will not survive in pots. Mine does beautifully in a highly acidic shade area

• Cristy Ballou

Can you tell me where I can get these gorgeous poppies? Cristy

• Luc3195298

What zone are they for?

• Angela Bahling

If you copy the species in which you are interested and paste it into Google search along with the words "hardiness zone" you will be able to find out. Most of these are hardy from zones 3 - 8 but it may depend on what variety of each species.

• Susan N

I live in an area that gets really hot in the summer. Maybe Zone 10. My backyard has a number of areas that are mottled shade to full shade. In the summer, one shady area is in full sun but in complete shade fall to spring. I love the possibilities of plants to put in the spots that never see the sun but do I have any options for the hot sun/cold shade places? It's been plain dirt for the 15 years I've lived here because I don't know what to do and would hate to see my money wasted on numerous experiments. Thank you all for any input you have to share...

• Susan

I live in Texas and our summers are scorching. I have found that lillies do really well in areas that are shaded in the spring. They die off in the summer heat but the foliage returns in the winter and they bloom all spring. I have the area as a rock garden with a bench to give it some interest during the summer and fall, and its a nice place to sit surrounded by fowers in the spring.

• Jamie Garlock

Beautiful