Outdated Dresser Gets Vintage Industrial Vibe

There's nothing like a good furniture makeover, right? This outdated dresser came from a lovely couple selling it on Craigslist. When I first saw it listed, I was drawn to the drawers that looked like crates to me. (do you see it?) After some cosmetic repairs and changes, I was able to give this dresser a vintage industrial look. Come see all the details on the blog!
outdated dresser gets vintage industrial vibe, painted furniture, rustic furniture
Don't those drawers look like crates? I had to take this dresser to a whole new level with new pulls and an industrial funk.
Would you have purchased this dresser and been able to see the potential? It's not a high-end piece since it's made of solid and manufactured wood, but it can LOOK like a high-end piece, right?
We've been having unseasonably warm temps here in the Northeast, so of course, it's time to get back outside and get busy.
I use my favorite sander to give the cabinet tooth and take the drawer fronts down to bare wood.
My favorite stain that I've used in our master bedroom remodel and bathroom remodel, was the perfect choice for this piece.
With the addition of some gorgeous gray paint and rustic iron bin pulls, I think I AM IN LOVE. :) To get all the details on colors and products, come on over to the blog.
If you'd love to purchase this piece for your own, just head to my shop

Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces

• Christine Styron Feit

I can't tell in the pictures, but is the very top stained or painted?

• Sharon Poff

Fist of all ... great job.. so neat May I ask a question about the number on drawers.. I see them in a lot of pictures. What is behind them or rather the story.

• Nancy L. Auclair

I have an old cabinet with doors (not drawers). I would like to add a shelf inside and repaint the cabinet. The current cabinet is finished in a stain/varnish. Do I need to sand the cabinet before I paint it and do I also need to use a primer? This will be my first time in trying to do a project on my own.

• Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces

Hi Nancy! Sounds like you have a fun project. You only need to sand if you are needing to make repairs, in most instances. It also depends on what paint you are using. I typically only prime if I need to worry about bleed through from mahogany or cherry stains, or if I plan to do a bright white over a dark base. If you are worry about adhesion, use a primer called Gripper by Glidden. You can see how I used it in this post: https://prodigalpieces.com/broyhill-hutch-desk-refreshed/ Feel free to email or reach out to me via my blog.