Deborah Stone
Deborah Stone
  • Sanford, NC

Need Ideas for Kitchen Space Under Cabinet

Jan12364751Judith WatsonTerra Gazelle
+35

Need some ideas for this empty space under this cabinet. I was wanting to save on the back splash material by not using it here. I will be using it from countertop to ceiling to the left of this cabinet and of course under the rest of the cabinets. Any ideas?
q need ideas for kitchen space under cabinet, home decor, kitchen backsplash, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design
  • Cassi Rasmussen

Is the space next to the sink? I am not sure if you have seen my cabinets that I redid, and in the middle I used #Krylon chalk board and magnetic paint in the centers of each. I have those next to my sink and I find it handy. You could paint one of the walls with the chalk board paint and hang some fun hooks or a cute DIY project, or I have in my office three clip boards on my wall that I had my girls decorate. I use them instead of the fridge to display artwork.

• Deborah Stone

Great idea, yes this is next to the sink. I have not seen your cabinets so I will go to your site and take a look. Thank you

• Shelley Seegmiller

You could use cork (like a message board, photo holder, for pinning recipes, etc). I don't know if this area is ideal for knives or a spice rack? Coffee station or baking centre?

• Deborah Stone

thanks Shelley. cork and message board is a good idea. Wrong side of kitchen for spice rack or knives.

• Bren2bren

what about a built-in appliance "garage"? The kind with the roll down door might work there.

• Deborah Stone

Great idea also, love to hide appliances. Thank you

• why not add a built in shelf here? You could use it for displaying pretty dishes or anything, really:)

• Deborah Stone

another great idea, thanks

• Kelly Christianson

I was thinking a wine glass & bottle rack would look cool here.

• Deborah Stone

Thanks Kelly, good idea also

• Wendy M

I would go with open shelving and use it for cook books or anything for that matter. I also like the chalk board paint idea. So many ideas to choose from. Lets us know what you end up doing here.

• Appliances such as microwaves can be hungunderneath cabinets to save counter space. You can also create an illusion ofspace with under cabinet lighting or under the counter. I think with the propertype of lighting the kitchen can be made to appear larger and more pleasing.

• Jennifer

what about hanging a smaller version of those racks you see over the islands to hang up your pots?

• Wanda Rebeca Ramos

Under the cabinet I would install a wine glass rack made of either wood or metal and underneath those attached to the wall a wine bottle holder. These items can be found anywhere at a good price. Even thrift stores...

• Deborah Stone

Thanks guys all of you have been very helpful

• Karen boyd

Put in a plate rack! I drilled holes @ half way through a shelving board ( already painted at Lowes) @ 1 1/2 inches apart, the same to the underside of existing cabinet, and bought regular dowels painted and cut to size and walla! I love my plate rack! It looks great too

• KMS Woodworks

I like @Joe Romero idea of a small microwave location. We used to have a large one that lived on the counter (in a corner) it was an average sized unit. When it died I ended up getting a much smaller unit and built a custom hanging shelf. Freeing up the counter space was one of the best things ever. we only rarely use the microwave any way...heat up some milk for hot cocco are defrost some freezer item now and then. It looks like the space has some of those inverted wine glass racks installed...If you are wire drinkers you could retain those. The space in question is only about 2 sq feet or so...so even at $10 a sq foot your looking at an added $20. Not really that much considering the overall amount you need for the rest of the kitchen.

• Jessica Dunbar

I agree that is a great space for a microwave but if that isn't needed I like the idea of a shelf, for cookbooks!

• Teresa Loerts

An idea that I used in my kitchen (my sink is on an inside wall to keep the pipes from freezing) was to put up a painted "window with a view". I put family pictures or pictures of the outside with the animals and birds in each of four panes. Install a light under the top cabinet and it looks like sunshine!

• Yvonne Moore

try painting a back splash and covering with glass or a chevron pattern and making sure the paint in mildew and water resistant acrylic paint and save on cost. of tiles

• Nicky Blakeney

In the picture the corner looks a little dark. If you put shelves on the wall or wine rack/glass rack. put a mirror between the shelf and the ceiling to add light to the corner and even a small decorative light might work. note: If you put the mirrors lower they would be a continuous cleaning job.

• Marlene Olson

How about a grow light and herb garden in pots.

• Summer

coffee bar? or message charging station? hanging pots or a pretty plate rack with slots?

• Kiff Harvey

wine rack, shelves

• Robin M

Cookbook shelves!

• B.J. B

It's perfect for frequently used cookbooks! I love books on cooking, homemaking, decorating, gardening, etc. I'm always looking for places to put them. All you have to do it put in a shelf.

• Lori Shaneck

why not put up painted cookie sheets to use as magnet boards?

• Betsy Bodrero

have it tiled

• Terra Gazelle

B.J.B, I like your idea of a place for shelves for cook books, gardening, maybe a place for my remedy books also.. I have no place in my kitchen right now, so mine are in my book shelves in my living room. I would love to have space in my kitchen for them...

• Theresa

what about putting large glass containers of frequently used rice, beans, lentils, homemade cocoa mix, nuts or seeds to snack on, etc.

• Janet Collins Pauley

chalkboard paint for a message center or maybe magnetic paint in a complimentary color

• Cathy Murphy

shelf for coffee, tea, sugar, etc. with cup hooks underneath for holding cups/mugs and coffee maker under it all for drink station or wine rack, if you drink wine with glasses hanging above. Would even be a nice spot for a picture or quote with a small lamp and favorite pic.

• Saniabaker425

When it comes to styling your kitchen, ideas are galore. Here are Tips to Style Your Kitchen http://www.hometalk.com/17555818/tips-to-style-your-kitchen

• Lori Lukes Kelly

Put in a wooden wine rack with boxed type cubbies and paint same color as cabinets

• Terra Gazelle

How about a book rack for cook books?

• Judith Watson

I like the idea of open shelves to use for whatever will fit your lifestyle.

• Jan12364751

Wine rack