Tammy M
Tammy M
  • Winchester, VA

I really want an outdoor sofa, but they are sooo expensive.

Janice AnderssenEunice baileyNorma Jean Diaz
+13

I would like to build my own, any ideas on how to get started. I bought some high back chair cushions that I really like. I want it to be tall enough to lean back into. We watch tv on our deck.
  • KMS Woodworks

If you already have the cushions the main "expense" is over. A simple frame can be built with 2 x lumber or even recycled pallet wood. Ana White has lots of plans...you just may need to adjust dimensions based on the cushions you have http://ana-white.com/2012/03/outdoor-sectional-using-2x4 http://ana-white.com/2011/06/simple-white-outdoor-sofa

• Tammy M

Absolutely. My son is building it for me next weekend. Thank you Hometalk and KMS Woodworks and Ana White. I'm so excited to get this done!

• Polly Zieper

I've been looking for an outdoor sofa at BJs, Costco, etc, but can't afford them--great timing!I want a place to lie down and read or watch the kids playPLEASE post photos, if anyone makes one!!!

• Tammy M

Polly, I will be sure to post some photos of mine. I bought some gorgeous cushions at Kmart for 160.00 dollars and the material for the sofa cost me about 80.00. My son, is a carpenter, and he is gonna start working on it for me next week. He just became a Dad a few months ago, so it may take a couple of weeks for him to get it done, then I have to paint it! So excited to finally be getting a start on it! Photos to come!

• KrysFL

I just finished mine (with coffee table) for under $200 and it was super easy. See my post (includes Ana-white link for the plans)

• Polly Zieper

I WANT A SON WHO IS A CARPENTER!

• Sharon

good luck Ms Tammy,you came to the right source for answers ...post pics!!! Ha, Ms Polly ,I used to wish that... we had 3 girls...they are very handy w/ stuff,,mind you and crafty,but they also married men who are jack of all trade types... between them and my husband, they can fix/build just about anything... so lucky!

• Polly Zieper

Sharon, you are lucky, indeed, Neither my husband nor I are very handy--We can only handle the basics-hanging pictures and curtain rods, and I've made curtains a few times, and we've painted the inside of our house a few times in the 20+ yrs of marriage.

• Polly Zieper

Hi, everyone, Where can you buy rope lighting?I love the nighttime ambience!

• Mary C

i thought about all of the wants and desires of having outdoor living, and one thing i repurposed was an old "cot"....it did not have a mattress, so i bought a piece of plywood, pres. treated, bought 2 lounger cushions and now i have a bed or cot to lay on when we are using our deck.....i found the cot at a yardsale for $5.00....i did see in another post where a hometalk blogger had painted her cushions....and i think this is to keep the cushions dry when it rains and from the uv sunrays....my husband and i have been trying to think of a way in which we could maybe cut the plywood, install some type of device so the now cot/outdoor bed could be raised up like you would a beach chair....i love Hometalk and all the people who share their ideas...the world seems so much nicer, warm and friendly when we all share and can take off on some of the great posts!

• Polly Zieper

Mary C, Can we see pictures?

• Norma Jean Diaz

You can make nice outdoor furniture from Wood pallets.stacked three high and single pallet for the back.you can do center table also . a little spray paint,some screws and your nice pillows.google for pictures

• Eunice bailey

I painted an old sofa with water based paint. After it dried I sanded the parts we touch. I cover it when it rains but it is holding very well.

• Janice Anderssen

I made an outdoor sofa, plus super comfy cushions for my entertainment area. Find the sofa and upholstered cushions here: http://www.home-dzine.co.za/garden/2012gardenproject.htm

, Made my own outdoor sofa and upholstered cushions on