Louise
Louise
Asked on Mar 9, 2012

Forgot to mention in the previous post that my liriope still crops up in the yard far more frequently than I want it to.

LouiseT DDouglas Hunt
+3

Sometimes I pull up the new growth, but it's rather serious about wanting to take over again, it seems. Can I spray Roundup on each piece that emerges or is there something else that would do the trick? Or, is digging up each new volunteer the only way?
  • 3po3

Seems like Roundup on each piece is your best bet.

Better to paint the liriope that emerges using a foam brush dipped in full-strength Roundup. You'll get better coverage and avoid overspray or drift.

• Louise

Thanks. I'll apply some Roundup today. Have lots of foam brushes.

You're welcome, Louise. You'll have to be persistent, but eventually you should be rid of your liriope.

• T D

I have liriope as well and run over it with the lawn mower at the begining of growing season to keep it in check...AND maybe get a few snakes in the process!

• Louise

I used to cut mine all down before March 15th, which is what I'd read was the thing to do. When it was cut, I'd occasionally get a comment about how very nice my yard looked. I figured that was a subtle way to say I shouldn't have the liriope. But I have to admit, it actually DID look great when it was cut. Nice and lush yard of beautiful green. I asked the county extension person if I could keep it cut that way but he said it would eventually kill it and at that time I didn't want it to die.