Betty
Betty
  • Cartersville, GA
Asked on Mar 10, 2012

moon vines

DORLISFlowerscapes Garden Design & LandscapingBonnie
+10

Wanting to plant moon vine seeds to grow along my deck railing, but I just read everything about this plant is poisonous. Is it safe to have around a deck or even pets
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

I plant Moon Vine every year. I have never had any issues with it poisoning anyone or critters.If you do choose to plant them, you will have more success on germinating them if you scarify them first and soak them in water 24 hours before planting them. I usually start mine indoors in a pot.

• Betty

sorry what does scarify mean?

• CAROL H

Scarifying is when you prepare a seed with a hard coat for germination. You can nick the seed with a knife, finger nail clippers or use a file. I used my demel with a small sanding disk the other day for Nasturitium and it worked well.

• Erica Glasener

You will love the fragrance and I don't think your pets will be attracted to your moon vine.

• Deb B

i planted moon vine last year here in Nebraska with no luck

• I soak them in water over night. Sometimes I forget and it is more than 24 hours and you can see the vine starting to peak out. My pets do not even notice the vines, but you and your friends will.

• Bonnie

They are safe, pets will usually stay away from them. I have 2 dogs and 4 cats, they never bother the vines. They are fantastically aromatic flowers!

• Betty

Ok, I have soaked my seeds for 24 hrs and am not going to be able to plant them till tomorrow. Is is it ok if they still soak or should I do something else

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

It won't hurt them to go another 24. I have forgotten mine upon occasion and they seem to do just fine.

• Betty

thanks, I was concerned I might have to plant the moon vine seeds by the moon

• Bonnie

You can plant them any time, just don't let the set in water for too long or they'll rot. I've actually started mine in gallon size zip lock bags with a damp paper towel; just lay the seeds on the paper towel, fold the other half over the seeds and slide them into the bag, close it up leaving air like an air pillow, leave them on the counter and then wait til they sprout. It's pretty neat to watch!

• Just like the lima bean project we did in elementary school.

• DORLIS

I have cats and eve though I don't think they would eat them, I don't want to take the chance