The 2 Hour and $20 Fireplace Makeover

$20

For just $20 and 2 hours, I dramatically changed the appearance of a 1974 drab fireplace. I buy old, ugly houses and flip them. Come follow along on this crazy house-flipping, DIY life on my blog, The Bachelorette Pad Flip: https://bachelorettepadflip.wordpress.com/
Can you say, DUNGEON?!
Can you say, DUNGEON?!
Welcome back to 1974....otherwise known as Flip #2 in my world. The living area was SO dark and bland. In particular, I felt like the fireplace was so monochromatic and lacked any character. But with $20, I made an insane impact and created a focal point in the living room.
And this is all you need!
And this is all you need!
I purchased a gallon of white latex paint. I COULD have painted the fireplace white and pristine...but I did that in Flip #1. I wanted to try something different...something rustic. So I chose to Whitewash the entire brick fireplace.
the 2 hour and 20 fireplace makeover, fireplaces mantels, painting
To see how to create whitewash paint, I have a complete tutorial on my blog, The Bachelorette Pad Flip. I spent about 2hrs brushing the whitewash mixture on the fireplace. I did a few touch-ups as needed. After $20 and 2hrs, I had a brand new fireplace!
2 hours well spent!
2 hours well spent!
I kept the original mantel as it was. I loved the contrast it provided to the whitewashed fireplace. The distressed historic cherry floors paired really well with the whitewash fireplace.
The great thing about whitewashing is not only that it's CHEAP, but you can whitewash just about any surface. Have a brick wall in a sun room? White wash it. And white wash doesn't just have to be white...you can use my same mixture from my blog with just about any paint color. Come check out my other DIY-on-the-cheap tips!
The Bachelorette Pad Flip

• Tra16806547

How do u whitewash a wall already painted white? My parents are selling house and they have long brickwall with open fireplace. I would like to give it an updated look

• I’d like to whitewash my fireplace but as you can see; mantle and lower part are concrete. I’d like to paint these a different colour to accent the fireplace. Any suggestions? I have taupe colour walls and light oak flooring is being laid. The furniture coming down into this room will be beige. I’m also thinking of painting the brass.

• Patsy47

looks great....i have done this in the past too and it is easy....1 quick observation...are you going to add mouldings to the sides? i also see you have no baseboards either...i assume this room is a work in progress.

• Denise Ferree

Wow, looks great. I have a whole wall that is brick, the whitewash would really lighten up my room. Thanks for the good idea.

• Victoria

OMG soooo nice! Looks so much better