Donna McCrummen
Donna McCrummen
  • Bernardsville, NJ
Asked on Mar 10, 2012

Here's a Drop Top Desk (is that what it's called?) I finished today.

JudyAnnie DohertyKathleen
+18

Pretty rough shape
Pretty rough shape
ew
ew
The drawer on top is waxed the base is not
inside the drawer
inside the drawer
AS Provence lightly distressed
AS Provence lightly distressed
I was worried about the colors - It's hard for me to step outside the white box.
  • I grew up doing my homework on one like that, except that it had an upper with shelves and glass front doors. I think they called it a drop front desk. The upper drawer supported the panel when folded down

• 3po3

Very nice upgrade.

• KMS Woodworks

The drop front I restored a few years back was not quite that bad...but being built from solid Mahogany with mahogany and walnut veneers...painting was NOT an option.

q here s a drop top desk is that what it s called i finished today, home decor, painted furniture, My dropfront desk circa 1860 s
  • Donna McCrummen

Gorgeous KMS - just gorgeous! No before pics?

• Donna McCrummen

@Sheila - I only had to sand the small area that needed patching. It was mostly scratched not gouged. I used two thin coats of chalk paint then lightly sanded with a fine sanding block. Then I waxed and buffed.

• KMS Woodworks

Sorry shabby...the original finish was shellac...as was common of that time frame. The exterior looked like alligator skin...the top also had a number of white rings and some deeper damage. On the inside I left the "cubbies" original as the finish had some very delicate crackle. The writing surface however got refinished as well. My sweetie uses it as her "paper work / home office" area. It meets our needs and looks good to boot. The coolest part is I got it as part of a barter with one of my clients...( I knocked 200 bucks off of one of his tiling projects...I would have been hard pressed just to buy that much Mahogany at 6 to 8 times the price.

• very nice! great transformation ...

• Karen Pilcher

i it called a secretary or writers desk desk. the ones with the glass cabinets above are called secretary desks. It does look very nice.

• Sue@CountryDesignHome

Very cute and well done! Love that color : )

• Jeannie McCarley

That's really nice, awesome job.

• Lukejakeleahsnama

Really nice - I love the colors and you did a fabulous job!

• Lesley Cameron

It's beautiful – you did a great job! I have a similar one I've I also redone: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/401805597977203055/

• Debi53

What a beautiful change & lovely color.

• Dee

Very nice. The color really 'makes' the piece . . . I think that if you love the color you won't go wrong using it, though sometimes it is hard to be bold and 'declare' that love by just doing it. Good on you for stepping outside the white box!

• Diana Deiley

Great job. Love the color choices. I hope you kept it. thanks for sharing with everyone.

• Judy

I'm afraid to do mine, the original finish is still good, came from a friend's estate and I don't want to ruin it...I have several other antique pieces I'm afraid to try that on too. But then I really do love antiques in their original state. Maybe I should just sell them and let someone else make those decisions....lol

• Nora Stidham

@Judy I'm with you!!! My antiques have a good finish and I like the original wood finish! When my kids inherit them, they can do whatever they like with the pieces!!!

• Kathleen

It is called a Secretary. You did a beautiful job. Bravo! You are very lucky, they are hard to find.

• Annie Doherty

We call them writing bureau or secretaries in the UK, it's interesting how we can have so many names for the same thing. I love what you have achieved with yours it's brilliant. You have turned a tired old lady into a beautiful girl with a lot more years on the clock. I love your colour choice, thank you for sharing.

• Annie Doherty

Sorry should have read secretaires :)

• Judy

Annie Doherty, some call them "writing desks", but "secretary" is a more updated term...my secretary is my writing desk, as opposed to my computer desk..lol