Lin R
Lin R
  • Spring Hill, TN
Asked on Mar 11, 2012

Vintage Look Ceiling Fan

All377999Lin RWallsTreat Studio/ Kass Wilson
+3

I want to make my celing fans look more vintage as in shabby chic. The only thing I can think of is painting them with ASCP and changing out the globes. Any other ideas would be appreciated. I could not find much when I googled.
  • The Empty Nest

ASCP...perfect!

• I have painted and embellished many ceiling fans and they have turned out wonderful. The only time there are problems is when you paint the blades. They need to be sprayed with a very even coat of paint because they are balanced. If the paint gets too thick, the blades will wobble. Also, resist the temptation to apply any kind of design to the blades. When they are turned on, it has a strange psychedelic effect as they rotate. A great way to add personality to a light fixture or fan is to embellish it with a painted ceiling medallion. They can be done to accommodate any style or color. Here are some examples:

q vintage look ceiling fan, electrical, home decor, lighting, painting, shabby chicq vintage look ceiling fan, electrical, home decor, lighting, painting, shabby chicq vintage look ceiling fan, electrical, home decor, lighting, painting, shabby chicq vintage look ceiling fan, electrical, home decor, lighting, painting, shabby chicq vintage look ceiling fan, electrical, home decor, lighting, painting, shabby chic
    • Marianne

@Thanks for that information. I myself was thinking of painting the blades, but you pointed out things that I would never have thought about, but should have.

• Lin R

Thank you Kass. Those are great tips.

• All377999

Those are chandlers not fans.

• Lin R

@Alleyoopp Thanks for the post, but I did not post a pic with my question. The pic of the chandeliers by Kass W was to show how ceiling medallions are painted and the same technique could be used for ceiling fans.