Christina Pennywise
Christina Pennywise
  • Quakertown, PA

Whimsical Elf Door

let the wee filk feel right at home with a easy DIY popsicle stick elf door- fun to put on flower pots, walls, or tree trunks
paint on hardware and add a jewelry button -fun for the holidays
Elf doors can be "installed" anywhere- makes a fun addition to a large flower pot, an outdoor tree (weather permitting) or a wall in a child's room
whimsical elf door, crafts, flowers, gardening, outdoor living
add a "lawn ornament" if you like
add a "lawn ornament" if you like
another version in a mini book garden
from my Secret Garden Tea post- a hollowed out book becomes a mini garden inspired by the story
use simple craft sticks
use simple craft sticks
simply glue sticks to paper backing for support
paint desired color and add accents (buttons make fun doorknobs) or a name or address
Christina Pennywise

• Lori Mulligan Davis

Could you update this, answering other people's questions, re: silvery colors you used and how to make it weatherproof?

• Christina Pennywise

Hi,I wish I remembered the exact colors I used- the base was a dark brown (this is the color that shows through as cracks) and the top was an antique cream color (just .99 craft paint from Michael's)- I think it looks more silvery in the photo for some reason. You could use a silver tone paint as well. I have an updated post with more details on the weathered technique if your interested http://pennywiseblog.blogspot.com/2016/02/fairy-doors-welcoming-wee-folk.htmlMine are for indoor use so far- but I'd imagine a good varnish would help it hold up out doors better especially on a porch or protected area. Sorry I couldn't give the exact shade.

• Connie Whitehead

I made a fence for my fairy garden, spray painted it( cheap spray paint) and used a spray sealer. That was 2years ago and I just the other day repainted and sealed it again. As you can see it is on an uncovered patio so it is out in the weather.

• Christina Pennywise

This is fabulous! LOVE all the little details and little ladder! saving and pinning for inspiration !sorry I hadn't seen this earlier- my computer's been acting up