Alice G
Alice G
  • Palm City, FL

Fuchsia Question

Sue KieneRebeholden82Annette Keeling
+6

Now that I live in Florida year round I would think I would be able to have the beautiful Fuchsias I use to get up north. I do see a type here but the flowers are so small and messy looking on the stems. Any reason why I can't get the one pictured? I use to have baskets and baskets of them all over my decks up north messy but gorgeous.
fuchsia question, flowers, gardening

The reason, Alice, is that it's too hot here. Fuschias like it cool. The American Fuschia Society has some strategies for trying to beat the heat here: http://www.americanfuchsiasociety.org/fuchsiasinheat.php

• Alice G

Hi Doug that website was very informative. I wrote to them asking where in Florida I could get the same variety. I can provide the shade and the misting they advise. Getting the plant is the problem.

• CindyandGeorge Schaeffer

Douglas must be right, as I've never seen this beautiful plant in FL.

• Kourtney Martin

I live in Houston, Texas where it is just as hot and humid as Florida. I bought my Fuchsia this month at Lowes Home Improvement. You could possibly order them from their vendor if your local Lowes doesn't carry them. Good Luck!!!

• Paula

I lived in Florida most of my life and never saw a fushia before I moved to the Pacific Northwest!

• Donna Ulrich

I love fuchsias too but they just cannot tolerate the heat in the south. Sorry. They are a beautiful flower but the only ones that will survive here are silk. :)

• Annette Keeling

WOW!!!! Alice it's Beautiful

• Rebeholden82

I am in south florida and bought two at a local nursery. the owner said she rarely sells them but loves them too much to not offer them... i have left mine in their hanging basket but keep them on a stand. they get watered in the morning and evening. the evening watering has ice cubes added to cool the roots. its been about four months now, they are still blooming non stop! the branches have sagged some, but still feel and look healthy. I hope i can keep them happy enough to survive!!

• Sue Kiene

Yes they are a little messy but definitely always beautiful to see. Good luck finding one down there.