Walter Reeves
Walter Reeves
  • Decatur, GA

Black Spot Disease on Rose Leaves

The mild winter has caused my roses to leaf out much sooner than normal. I looked at one yesterday and found the tell-tale symptoms of black spot disease, a problem that can cause all the leaves to drop off by summer.
In the past I've gotten good control with Bonide Infuse but you can also manage the disease by alternating other fungicide sprays at 3 week intervals.
Check on your roses today!
rose black spot
rose black spot
rose black spot
rose black spot
rose black spot
rose black spot

• Kathy Faller Fessler

My climbing rose bush, it grew beautiful and bloomed but now the leaves are falling off and the others have black spots...what can I do???

• Nanci Burroughs

I'm getting very frustrated with my rose garden. I planted them in a place where they would get plenty of sun year round, protection from the elements, and try to do everything I can to keep them healthy. I don't water from above. I prune in the spring and fertilize. I keep the area around them clean. I have a mix of climbers, floribunda's and tea's. All are lovely in the spring, covered with glossy leaves and full of flowers. But by the end of June, most have lost their leaves and remain sticks the rest of the season. Even if they didn't flower much more, I'd still like them to look bushy and healthy. What am I doing wrong?

@Nanci Burroughs You will get more results if you will post this as a new question using the red "post & ask" button at the top of the page and if you can post a photo of your roses. Far more people will see it that way. Also, please tell us where you are.

• Lucy B

Make sure you take off those leaves and throw them away but not in your compost pile, if you have one. Make sure you don't wet the leaves when you water.