Andrea Fabry
Andrea Fabry
  • Vail, AZ

Natural Wood Floor Cleaner

Looking for a simple and effective way to clean your hardwood floors? Black tea makes the ideal natural cleaner!
natural wood floor cleaner, cleaning tips, flooring, hardwood floors
WHY BLACK TEA?
Black tea contains polyphenolic compounds that inhibit microbial growth. Also, the tannins found in black tea add a subtle sheen to your hardwood floor.
Black tea is also less acidic than the common DIY cleaner, white vinegar. Therefore it’s less harsh and more apt to protect your floor’s finish.
THE CLEANING PROCESS
Boil two to four black tea bags in a quart of water. The longer you allow it to brew, the darker and more efficient the cleaner. (If you have light colored wood, you’ll want to stick with a shorter brew time.)
Pour the tea into a small bucket. Immerse a soft cloth in the tea. Remove and wring thoroughly. (The cloth should be damp, not wet, to allow for quick drying.) Wipe the floor in the direction of the grain and enjoy the beauty of your hardwood floor!
Black tea is not suitable for laminate flooring. For laminate, try a gentle castile soft soap diluted in a bucket of water.
Andrea Fabry

• Rachelmary

Love this idea. Could green tea be used?

• Susan

I have raw wood in my kitchen so would be like a stain right? Wouldn't this make the floors sticky and invite bugs??

• Andrea Fabry

Yes, if you stick with the black tea you'll have no residue that invites buts. Try it on a small spot before trying it to see if it stains in a way that is unfavorable.

• Sherry

What about cork floor?

• Sherry

Thanks Andrea. Cork flooring can range from reasonable to off the charts. We have a "budget" version, that has held up pretty well in our kitchen since 2008. We love it in the kitchen because it is soft underfoot. I'll give tea a try in an inconspicuous place. Thanks for the idea.

• Pun2630932

I hoping this is ok on bamboo floors, I gave dark floors. Bamboo is natural so I think it would be ok, any how I am going to try this on a small area

• Jim Greene

Most modern floors have polyurethane on them and I doubt this would penetrate that sealant .