Betty Stahl
Betty Stahl
  • Guntersville, AL

My Garden

After building our house 6 years ago we had a blank slate to start landscaping. I had several challenges ahead of me, one being no budget for a landscaper, poor clay soil and a back woods inundated with poison ivy and briars, basically an impenetrable jungle, a slope with washouts and gullies. Tackling one job at a time and finishing it before moving onto the next kept me focused. It's ever evolving but
I love yard art. I discovered hypertufa several years ago and have been creating my own pots and columns ever since. I visit antique shops and junk shops often for items I can turn into more yard art.
After hacking my way through the jungle, I created paths and started putting in shade plants. Since I have an abundance of deer who also call my woods home, I've lost a small fortune to their voracious appetites.
This is a small water garden I built in a space not suitable for anything else.
This small bridge is the entrance of my woodland garden. There was a constant wash out in this area so I created a dry creek bed to channel the run off where I needed it to go.
This is a before picture of an area between my garden shed and carport. I tried roses here but the drainage is bad and it didn't get enough sun.
This is an after picture of the same area with small water garden and foot path. I found the tiny child's bench at an antique store in pieces. I planted Carolina Jasmine on trellises between the pillars of the carport.
Another view of woodland garden.
Another view of woodland garden.
Dry creek bed. I followed the natural flow of the water when it rained. It took me most of the summer using a rotor tiller, wheel barrow, pic and shovel. It was hard work but serves it's purpose.
Path through woodland garden.
Path through woodland garden.
Fairy garden. I'm blessed with an abundance of rocks and moss on my property so can create all my hardscapes with what I find in the woods.