DeeDee
DeeDee
  • Decatur, TX

Easy Way To Remove Pet Stains

$1

ETA: My little Trevor has passed over the rainbow bridge now so please, no need to tell me about diapers or belly bands, those didn't work for him and this is how we dealt with it. Thanks for all the tips though! :)

ETA: PEROXIDE does have a bleaching effect. If you have any doubts of this solution bleaching or color changing your carpet, please try it in an inconspicuous place first. Many commenters have

easy way to remove pet stains, cleaning tips, pet stain cleaning, pets, pets animals, reupholster

This is one area that was a problem. There are normally two areas that I have to keep a constant vigilance over.

This is Trevor, my grandpaw dog. He will be 16 next month and for his whole entire life he NEVER had accidents in the house. Just this past year he started to go in the house instead of asking to go outside. Poor dude! Keeping our light colored carpet clean and keeping the house urine odor free is a chore now! Sometimes I catch the accident right after it happens, but mostly he does this while we aren't home throughout the day and that causes the staining.

All you need is Hydrogen Peroxide and Dawn dish soap (the blue one is best). CAUTION: Hydrogen Peroxide may cause bleaching to your carpet.

The mixture is 1 to 1 and I had a large area to cover so I mixed 1/4 cup Dawn and 1/4 peroxide in an oblong dish so I could get my scrub brush into it easily.

Using a stiff bristle brush, dip into the solution and apply to the stained carpet. Rub light to get the solution into the carpet fibers. Let this sit on the carpet for about 30 minutes and then blot with paper towels (I use my foot) to remove all the extra moisture you can. Keep blotting until the area is almost completely dry. Please visit our blog for all the before and after pictures. Its nice while it last, but I know he will just create the same scene over again soon. At least I have this method to make it better!

DeeDee

• Bonnie

Is this good for hardwood floors too?

• Conni
      30 minutes ago

I found myself that a rug over hardwood will stain if allowed to sit there. I put something under it that holds it up (what to use depends on size of stain but usually a cardboard shoe box works) until it dries. Also if you have a dark stain in REAL hardwood floor put some Hydrogen Peroxide on tissues on the stain. My floor lightened a good deal but you can till see it a little. I have been thinking of trying it again to see if it will work better in stages.

• Rachel

what is the dry power that is in the pan that you show. You state that cleaner mix containes only an equal mix of hydrogen peroxide and dawn?

• DeeDee

Hi Rachel, I'm not sure I understand your question. The carpet will naturally air dry, but only after you have blotted as much of the moisture up with paper towels that you can. I hope that helps. :)

• Karen Kiser
    19 hours ago

I have an area where we had put down rug runners in front of a love couch to protect the light carpet from getting soiled and add some color to area and over years the carpet turned a yellowed color because of the rubber backing on the rug runner plus the room gets a lot of sunshine. do you think this mixture would work to bring back the light color of our carpet?

• DeeDee
      14 hours ago

Hi Karen! I'm not sure becasue I've never tried it on that type of stain, but, it would certainly be worth the try. :)

• HappySamm75

I adopted an Owner surrender Shih tzu last January. He went on the floor (carpet) promptly.)

I took a pee pad stepped on it to soak up the problem and have used pee pads ever since.

He was trained to them and we did not know it. He will do big potty on them too if I am away too long and do not walk him every day. He had never been groomed in 4 years or walked on grass. Now he thinks he should live out side.

Good luck with your problem. Try pee pads just in case.

• Gina

Sounds like a simple and effective way to treat areas. My dog started doing this and I agree diapers and all the fancy underwear stuff did not work. I did find Nature something, sorry can't think of whom name, it worked. So if this does have any bleaching on your rug there is the other choice. There are 4 different ones. Not overly priced depending how often you need to treat. My little guy we came to find out was diabetic already suffering with ketoasodosis. He was sick but found out late. He didn't show signs until late. To regulate him on insulin would have been a nightmare. He would not eat the food and we could not leave him alone because he really needed a lot more then just insulin not to mention sticking his paw for blood levels. Leaving him at vets office for sugar monitoring since they don't recommend owners doing it. I had less then 48 hours to make a decision and on that second day he was dying. I had to make a horrible choice. I hope he is at peace. Even though we had him 5 years since we rescued him. He had a lot of love. He was my side kick. He has saved my life literally and I couldn't save his, but I knew him and this would have been too much. He started peeling in the bed. So he needed to go out every 2 hours.