DeeDee
DeeDee
  • Decatur, TX

Easy Way To Remove Pet Stains

ETA:
PEROXIDE does have a bleaching effect. If you have any doubts of this solution bleaching or color changing your carpet, please try it in an inconspicuous place first. Many commenters have suggested a "rinse cycle" with plain water using a carpet cleaning machine after the solution step. I don't ever have to do that, but everyone's carpet is different. I think most of it is picked up in the blotting step that is not pictured but mentioned down below.
If you have a pet, especially an elderly pet, you probably need to read this post! Of course I went right to Pinterest to find a way to battle these pet stains. It only takes two ingredients and a tiny little bit of elbow grease and your carpet will look nice and smell way better too!
easy way to remove pet stains, cleaning tips, pet stain cleaning, pets, pets animals, reupholster
This is one area that was a problem. There are normally two areas that I have to keep a constant vigilance over.
This is Trevor, my grandpaw dog. He will be 16 next month and for his whole entire life he NEVER had accidents in the house. Just this past year he started to go in the house instead of asking to go outside. Poor dude! Keeping our light colored carpet clean and keeping the house urine odor free is a chore now! Sometimes I catch the accident right after it happens, but mostly he does this while we aren't home throughout the day and that causes the staining.
All you need is Hydrogen Peroxide and Dawn dish soap (the blue one is best).
CAUTION: Hydrogen Peroxide may cause bleaching to your carpet.
The mixture is 1 to 1 and I had a large area to cover so I mixed 1/4 cup Dawn and 1/4 peroxide in an oblong dish so I could get my scrub brush into it easily.
Using a stiff bristle brush, dip into the solution and apply to the stained carpet. Rub light to get the solution into the carpet fibers. Let this sit on the carpet for about 30 minutes and then blot with paper towels (I use my foot) to remove all the extra moisture you can.
Please visit our blog for all the before and after pictures. Its nice while it last, but I know he will just create the same scene over again soon. At least I have this method to make it better!
DeeDee

• Kathy Power

any ideas for ceramic floor /grout

• Opk28526222

Would you suggest this for upholstered furniture as well? My 17 yr old cat sleeps on the sofa and has started peeing in his sleep. the odor is the worst part.

• Dobi

I have used baking soda and vinegar on just about anything or where that I have odor that I don't want! Not to mention just all around cleaning.

It is great in a garbage disposal as well! You can mix them together, it will fizz but that is the chemical reaction to each other and it is not dangerous

• Dav31213448

Have you considered using newborn diapers on your little guy. You can cut out a place for his tail. I have experience with this.It was great not worrying about accidents.

• Annette

SnsThat have puppy diapers at Walmart. I had a rescue Boston Terrier she was a handful. We did good to catch her and put her out side and praise her. But she would would still sneak and pee.
      The diapers saved us from being a kennel dog when ever we weren't around. I placed around big adult pad in side and it captured her accedents.

• Reta Fleming

They make I know puppy diapers. I'm sure they also make adult dog diapers. I would think after awhile your carpet will wear out by Friday and eventually the peroxide acts I would think like an acid and you'll have carpet that starts thinning. Just my thoughts.

• Carey

I believe that the kind of fiber that your carpet is made with is what makes the difference-natural fibers are much more likely to be damaged or bleached by the hydrogen Peroxide than the Poly or olefin fabrics. That is why it is so important to test in an inconspicuous place.