Easy Way To Remove Pet Stains

$1

ETA: My little Trevor has passed over the rainbow bridge now so please, no need to tell me about diapers or belly bands, those didn't work for him and this is how we dealt with it. Thanks for all the tips though! :)

ETA: PEROXIDE does have a bleaching effect. If you have any doubts of this solution bleaching or color changing your carpet, please try it in an inconspicuous place first. Many commenters have suggested a "rinse cycle" with plain water using a carpet cleaning machine after the solution step. I don't ever have to do that, but everyone's carpet is different. I think most of it is picked up in the blotting step that is not pictured but mentioned down below.

If you have a pet, especially an elderly pet, you probably need to read this post! Of course I went right to Pinterest to find a way to battle these pet stains. It only takes two ingredients and a tiny little bit of elbow grease and your carpet will look nice and smell way better too!

This is one area that was a problem. There are normally two areas that I have to keep a constant vigilance over.

This is Trevor, my grandpaw dog. He will be 16 next month and for his whole entire life he NEVER had accidents in the house. Just this past year he started to go in the house instead of asking to go outside. Poor dude! Keeping our light colored carpet clean and keeping the house urine odor free is a chore now! Sometimes I catch the accident right after it happens, but mostly he does this while we aren't home throughout the day and that causes the staining.

All you need is Hydrogen Peroxide and Dawn dish soap (the blue one is best). CAUTION: Hydrogen Peroxide may cause bleaching to your carpet.

The mixture is 1 to 1 and I had a large area to cover so I mixed 1/4 cup Dawn and 1/4 peroxide in an oblong dish so I could get my scrub brush into it easily.

Using a stiff bristle brush, dip into the solution and apply to the stained carpet. Rub light to get the solution into the carpet fibers. Let this sit on the carpet for about 30 minutes and then blot with paper towels (I use my foot) to remove all the extra moisture you can. Keep blotting until the area is almost completely dry.

Please visit our blog for all the before and after pictures. Its nice while it last, but I know he will just create the same scene over again soon. At least I have this method to make it better!

DeeDee

• Cherie

I was just wondering if leaving the soap in the carpet instead of rinsing leaves any sort of film that will collect dirt in the future? I have an elderly dog and he has been puking on the floor a lot and it has been a challenge. I will try this and hope for the best.

• Cheryl Rambo

I just use a few drops dawn and very hot tap water with a stiff brush. My doggie stain was there for quite a while. It came out beautifully. I didn't have to worry about bleaching

• Julie Wilson

can you use this on stains that have been there a long time and have dried?

• DeeDee

Hi Julie! Yes, I've had to do that several times before.

• Carine

How about tile that smells like dog urine ? I can't seem to get rid of the smell nobody what I do . Thank you

• DeeDee

Hi Carine!

I've not tried it before, but it certainly would not hurt to try! :)

• Tanya

Just a note, that the powdered bleach, think clorox 2? Thats safe for colors, excuse mw if wrong about name, works great and no bleach stains!!! Definitely freshens and clean carpets

• Norah Gammon

I will definitely try this, my cat has a hairball every now and then I'll give it a whirl. Thanks.

Norah