Easy Way To Remove Pet Stains

$1

ETA: My little Trevor has passed over the rainbow bridge now so please, no need to tell me about diapers or belly bands, those didn't work for him and this is how we dealt with it. Thanks for all the tips though! :)

ETA: PEROXIDE does have a bleaching effect. If you have any doubts of this solution bleaching or color changing your carpet, please try it in an inconspicuous place first. Many commenters have suggested a "rinse cycle" with plain water using a carpet cleaning machine after the solution step. I don't ever have to do that, but everyone's carpet is different. I think most of it is picked up in the blotting step that is not pictured but mentioned down below.

If you have a pet, especially an elderly pet, you probably need to read this post! Of course I went right to Pinterest to find a way to battle these pet stains. It only takes two ingredients and a tiny little bit of elbow grease and your carpet will look nice and smell way better too!

This is one area that was a problem. There are normally two areas that I have to keep a constant vigilance over.

This is Trevor, my grandpaw dog. He will be 16 next month and for his whole entire life he NEVER had accidents in the house. Just this past year he started to go in the house instead of asking to go outside. Poor dude! Keeping our light colored carpet clean and keeping the house urine odor free is a chore now! Sometimes I catch the accident right after it happens, but mostly he does this while we aren't home throughout the day and that causes the staining.

All you need is Hydrogen Peroxide and Dawn dish soap (the blue one is best). CAUTION: Hydrogen Peroxide may cause bleaching to your carpet.

The mixture is 1 to 1 and I had a large area to cover so I mixed 1/4 cup Dawn and 1/4 peroxide in an oblong dish so I could get my scrub brush into it easily.

Using a stiff bristle brush, dip into the solution and apply to the stained carpet. Rub light to get the solution into the carpet fibers. Let this sit on the carpet for about 30 minutes and then blot with paper towels (I use my foot) to remove all the extra moisture you can. Keep blotting until the area is almost completely dry.

Please visit our blog for all the before and after pictures. Its nice while it last, but I know he will just create the same scene over again soon. At least I have this method to make it better!

16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
DeeDee

• Donna C.

Would this work on cat urine?

• Donna C.

Thanks for the tips. Although my cat passed away a year ago his smell lingers on. He even urination on wood flooring. I tried everything on that floor

Thought I got it all until the humidity, ugh. Thanks again

• Mary Ann Jarman

Do you think this would work on stains from where the water overflows from a plant? I have saucers under the plants but dark water always comes out the bottom when I water the plants. Sometimes it runs over and gets on the carpet then I end up with dark brown stains on it. Thanks for your help!

• DeeDee

Hi Mary Ann! Although I've never tried it, it would be worth it to try it! Thanks and good luck! :)

• Sonya

Is it okay to use Hydroperoxide #10 on carpets?

• DeeDee

Hi Sonya! I'm not sure what that is, but I would test it in a place that's not seen first. :)

• Hope Oakes

Not a question, but as a former carpet store sales person, I HIGHLY advise that after you clean the carpet (I was taught to use Windex, myself) you MUST rinse the soap out by flushing the area with water, at least twice, blotting well with towels each time. Otherwise, there will be shoe traffic stains where the soap residue area is.

• Susan gibbs

I used windex for a long time, until my carpet started turning blue. I was never able to get the stain out. Now you can get untinted winded, that may work well. However, I put straight peroxide in an emptied spray bottle. I often use 10 ish drops of lavender essential oil for fragrance. Peroxide has not stained my carpet, and I use it on all my flooring. The peroxide alone removes urine color and smell. I hesitate to add dawn, which I love for many purposes, as detergents can actually attract dirt stains. I would use far less than a 50-50 solution peroxide-dawn, or no dawn at all.

• Claudia

You can use the peroxide alone and skip the soap. The soap leaves residue and will create another problem on the carpet. I have used hydrogen peroxide for years cleaning up cat vomit and other stains such as coffee, pop, food stains and etc. All you do is make a pinhole in the top of the peroxide bottle and squirt on the stain and allow it to sit a minute or so and take a dry cloth and rub it dry, Repeat if necessary. It doesn't harm the carpet. It is amazing stuff and i buy it by the case and it is especially great on old stains and pet stains.