DeeDee
DeeDee
  • Decatur, TX

Easy Way To Remove Pet Stains

ETA:
PEROXIDE does have a bleaching effect. If you have any doubts of this solution bleaching or color changing your carpet, please try it in an inconspicuous place first. Many commenters have suggested a "rinse cycle" with plain water using a carpet cleaning machine after the solution step. I don't ever have to do that, but everyone's carpet is different. I think most of it is picked up in the
easy way to remove pet stains, cleaning tips, pet stain cleaning, pets, pets animals, reupholster
This is one area that was a problem. There are normally two areas that I have to keep a constant vigilance over.
This is Trevor, my grandpaw dog. He will be 16 next month and for his whole entire life he NEVER had accidents in the house. Just this past year he started to go in the house instead of asking to go outside. Poor dude! Keeping our light colored carpet clean and keeping the house urine odor free is a chore now! Sometimes I catch the accident right after it happens, but mostly he does this while we aren't home throughout the day and that causes the staining.
All you need is Hydrogen Peroxide and Dawn dish soap (the blue one is best).
CAUTION: Hydrogen Peroxide may cause bleaching to your carpet.
The mixture is 1 to 1 and I had a large area to cover so I mixed 1/4 cup Dawn and 1/4 peroxide in an oblong dish so I could get my scrub brush into it easily.
Using a stiff bristle brush, dip into the solution and apply to the stained carpet. Rub light to get the solution into the carpet fibers. Let this sit on the carpet for about 30 minutes and then blot with paper towels (I use my foot) to remove all the extra moisture you can.
Please visit our blog for all the before and after pictures. Its nice while it last, but I know he will just create the same scene over again soon. At least I have this method to make it better!
DeeDee

3 questions on this project
  • Dav31213448
    Nov 01, 2017

Have you considered using newborn diapers on your little guy. You can cut out a place for his tail. I have experience with this.It was great not worrying about accidents.

• Annette
      Nov 13, 2017

SnsThat have puppy diapers at Walmart. I had a rescue Boston Terrier she was a handful. We did good to catch her and put her out side and praise her. But she would would still sneak and pee.
      The diapers saved us from being a kennel dog when ever we weren't around. I placed around big adult pad in side and it captured her accedents.

• Opk28526222
    Oct 25, 2017

Would you suggest this for upholstered furniture as well? My 17 yr old cat sleeps on the sofa and has started peeing in his sleep. the odor is the worst part.

• Regina Micciche
      May 11, 2018

If the spot is wet, sprinkle some baking soda on it, then rub it a bit so the baking soda can get into the fabric. Then let it sit for a bit. Then put white distilled vinegar in a spray bottle and spritz it liberally, but not soaked. You can let it sit to soak in, then use a cold wet rag and wipe the area. You may need to scrub it with the wet rag a bit, to be sure the stain is gone. I use the white vinegar on my carpets too.

• Kathy Power
    Sep 22, 2017

any ideas for ceramic floor /grout

• Reta Fleming
    Jan 22, 2018

They make I know puppy diapers. I'm sure they also make adult dog diapers. I would think after awhile your carpet will wear out by Friday and eventually the peroxide acts I would think like an acid and you'll have carpet that starts thinning. Just my thoughts.

• Carey
    Feb 03, 2018

I believe that the kind of fiber that your carpet is made with is what makes the difference-natural fibers are much more likely to be damaged or bleached by the hydrogen Peroxide than the Poly or olefin fabrics. That is why it is so important to test in an inconspicuous place.