Mary
Mary
  • Hughes, AR

Type of Tree

Sia@South 47thTanya Peterson FelsheimTraci Winyard
+4

Hi! can someone please Id these Arkansas trees for me? Thanks so much.
type of tree, gardening
q type of tree, gardening
q type of tree, gardening
  • Kimberly Barney

The first tree is a sassafras tree. The second tree is not able to be identified without a close up of the leaves individually or in a small grouping. The third tree is a gumleaf tree which will get gumballs (small spiky balls with stems). I would suggest cutting the gumball tree down if it is only these small sprouts beside a larger tree or cut down the small sprouts if the larger tree is also a gumball tree.

• Tanya Peterson Felsheim

The 2nd one looks like a laurel bush as opposed to a tree. Does it spread or does it grow tall?

• Kathy Forte'

I have the second tree next to deck and it makes such a mess with it's berries and flowering blooms. Mine has a shiny silvery bark and the trunk is gorgeous but can't live with the staining berries. I would love to know what it is as well.

• Michelle Eliker

The second is a privet laurel. If left unpruned they grow tree size very quickly. They are very messy and bad for allergies. My neighbor has one and I pull seedlings from my yard all year long. The one benefit from this bush/tree that I can think of is the birds love the berries. If you are willing to prune it several times a year it makes a nice quick privacy screen. The third tree looks like my friend's English walnut tree, especially the bark.

• Traci Winyard

Traci Christiansburg, Va. I do not think that the 3rd tree is a gum tree. It does not have 5-lobed leaves.

• Tanya Peterson Felsheim

Yes the laurel next to our property grew 5 feet into our property in 3 years and we didn't notice how much it encroached on our property so I cut it back and recovered almost 6 feet of front garden bed! the are very invasive in some places LIKE HERE in the pacific northwest. and they are evergreen.

• Sia@South 47th

I can only concur with the Laurel. We keep ours very pruned ;)