Preserving Memories ~ DIY Photo Collage on Wood Numbers!

408 Views
For my youngest child's Senior Night I wanted something a little different from the normal poster board that you normally see during these occasions. I wanted something that said "WOW"...... and that he would be proud to hang in his future man-cave!
  • preserving memories diy photo collage on wood numbers, crafts, decoupage
My idea started when I found these 18" wood numbers at Hobby Lobby and an open back frame that was in the clearance aisle. Although I could have hung the numbers directly to the wall, I had visions of these numbers suspended within the frame. I chose the number 19, as this was his number for his 13 years of playing youth hockey.
I must have pulled over 200 photos to use on this project, every one I saw bringing back a memory or two! I don't know what I was thinking when I thought that they would ALL fit onto these numbers! LOL!
I didn't make a plan as to where each photo would go, instead picking the photo that best fit the area or curve that I was dealing with. I brushed mod podge onto the letters; gently placed the photos on top and using my knuckles and a clean cotton t-shirt I smoothed out all of the wrinkles and bubbles. Once I had all of the photos arranged I let it sit overnight to completely dry. I added a high gloss acrylic spray to seal the photos and give the sides a glossy finish.
I centered the numbers within the frame, measuring out where the eye hooks needed to go. For every hook in the numbers there needed to be the same number within the open back frame. If you have a drill, then mark the wood of the frame and the numbers and drill a small pilot hole. This will make it a little easier to screw in the eye hooks. Once I had the hooks in tight it was time to figure out how to suspend it. I was originally thinking wire, but then I found a brand new pair of hockey laces in the closet. I did the "x" with each of the 4 eye hooks as I thought this would replicate the laces that alot of the jerseys have at the neckline.
Now I am not saying that there is anything wrong with compiling photos onto a poster board! I did not have this project totally complete for his big night, so the night before the event, I was scrambling to put together a poster board. ;)
But once I hung this DIY Photo Collage onto his bedroom wall, I knew that I had made the right decision! He was absolutely thrilled to see it finished and on his wall.....and I can already see it in his future man-cave telling his kids about the friends and coaches that helped shape his life. Don't you love the memories that photos can evoke in ALL of us??!!!
If you want to see a little more about this project, I would love for you to hop on over to my blog!

Suggested materials for this project:

Shaunna @ Tempting Thyme

Ask a Question