BrightNest
BrightNest
  • Denver, CO

Make a DIY Butterfly Feeder in 6 Easy Steps

Don't underestimate the butterfly - it's more than just a pretty garden addition! There are 561 known butterfly species in the United States and Canada, all of which pollinate your flowers. Encourage butterflies to visit your yard and pollinate your plants by making a butterfly feeder. It's easy!
Full tutorial: http://bit.ly/18hoQ6m
Note: Some evidence suggests dyes may have negative health effects on
make a diy butterfly feeder in 6 easy steps, crafts, mason jars, You ll need mason jar or baby food jar with sealable lid kitchen sponge hammer and nail heavy duty string sponge sugar scissors saucepan and flower stickers or decorative tape optional
You'll need: mason jar or baby food jar with sealable lid, kitchen sponge, hammer and nail, heavy-duty string, sponge, sugar, scissors, saucepan and flower stickers or decorative tape (optional).
make a diy butterfly feeder in 6 easy steps, crafts, mason jars, 1 Prepare butterfly food by mixing nine parts water with one part sugar If you are using a mason jar for your feeder use tablespoons and if you are using a baby food jar use teaspoons
1. Prepare "butterfly food" by mixing nine parts water with one part sugar. If you are using a mason jar for your feeder, use tablespoons, and if you are using a baby food jar, use teaspoons.
make a diy butterfly feeder in 6 easy steps, crafts, mason jars, 2 Using a nail and hammer punch a small hole in the center of the lid A piece of a sponge will need to fit snuggly in the hole so keep it small you can always make it bigger if necessary
2. Using a nail and hammer, punch a small hole in the center of the lid. A piece of a sponge will need to fit snuggly in the hole, so keep it small - you can always make it bigger if necessary.
make a diy butterfly feeder in 6 easy steps, crafts, mason jars, 3 Cut a 1 2 inch strip from your sponge then pull it through the hole in the lid so about half of the sponge is sticking out from the top you ll want the sponge to be a tight fit
3. Cut a 1/2 inch strip from your sponge, then pull it through the hole in the lid so about half of the sponge is sticking out from the top - you'll want the sponge to be a tight fit.
make a diy butterfly feeder in 6 easy steps, crafts, mason jars, 4 Before you tie any string around the jar decorate your jar with brightly colored stickers construction paper or washi tape Flower shapes and bright colors are great options because they ll imitate the real deal
4. Before you tie any string around the jar, decorate your jar with brightly colored stickers, construction paper or washi tape. Flower shapes and bright colors are great options, because they'll imitate the real deal.
make a diy butterfly feeder in 6 easy steps, crafts, mason jars, 5 Use your string to make a hanger Flip your jar upside down Tie some string around the neck of the jar slightly below the lid Cut two more pieces of string that are about two feet long
5. Use your string to make a hanger. Flip your jar upside down. Tie some string around the neck of the jar (slightly below the lid). Cut two more pieces of string that are about two feet long.
make a diy butterfly feeder in 6 easy steps, crafts, mason jars, That s it Now you can hang your feeder outside It will work best if it s placed about six inches higher than your tallest flowers
That's it! Now you can hang your feeder outside. It will work best if it's placed about six inches higher than your tallest flowers.
BrightNest

• Elaine Simmons

I am missing something (maybe my brain) but I don't know how there are any port holes for the hummingbirds to stick their tongue in?!!

• L W F

I read this is for butterflies - not humming birds!

• Lawana Baugus

Its a butterfly feeder

• Wendy Harrington

Im sure the hummers would use it too.

• Rebouchage

I'm sure they would too. I believe they work on the priciple of anywhere there is food then we'll get som.

• Trace Duncan Braido

Where there's a will, there's a way! :)

• Carolyn

This is for Butterflies. 😊

• Cher

Great idea! Just an FYI, I read that it's not healthy to add die to sugar water for feeding. Besides the article said it wasn't necessary. 😉

• Jennie Lee

I believe both butterflies and hummingbirds would lick the sponge.

• Nan Jolly

The spong that sticks out of the top of the jar stays moist by absorbing the liquid, so you need to be sure the spong is always in contact with food. Butterflies or hummingbird whichever wants it.

• Gina

You do not need to use food coloring for the sugar solution- the butterflies can smell it. It is the same for hummingbirds as long as the feeder have some red markings . It is proven food coloring is not necessary.

• Jennie Lee

I should think you could easily put in a new piece of sponge every time you clean it, right?

• Sue Kiene

If it were me I would. Sponges are inexpensive and since they hold bacteria etc. in them, would not want the butterflies etc. to possibly get sick or die because of bacteria or molds

• LoringLoding

Does it drip? & is there an ant problem?

• M. M..

I'd have ants coming down the strings in less than 24 hours, haha! I first thought that coating the twine with Vaseline would work, but I imagine the butterflies could also perch there, and get greasy? Any ideas for ant blocking?

• Nico Schneider

People who're into ant terrariums use an alcohol/baby powder solution to keep them from crossing boundaries, maybe coating the string with that would help ...?
    • Tim Orr

Try putting instant grits at the bottom of your pole.
  • Penny

Is the sponge to the bottom? How does it stay moist?

• DeBorah Beatty

What is the purpose of the sponge?

• Bel6643317

The receipe it 4 parts water to one part sugar.
  • Rebecca

Beautiful, but PLEASE don't use red dye! My hummingbird feeder has red plastic components, and I have plenty of visitors! Just put something red (like a plastic flower, etc) and that should do the trick!