YouAreTalkingTooMuch.com
YouAreTalkingTooMuch.com
  • Conway, SC

Is this poison ivy or poison oak?

ValerieBarbaraMarie Casburn
+18

I asked a friend of mine one time and he ripped it out and called it some kind of weed. I want to double check. Anyone know if poison ivy or poison oak? Would love your help!
is this poison ivy or poison oak, gardening
  • Nancy Hand

Carolina Creeper not poisonous! :)

• YouAreTalkingTooMuch.com

@Nancy Hand , thank you! Please come be my neighbor. ; )

• Joanie J

poison ivy has three leaves,not 5. and poison oak looks like oak leaves.

• leaves of three let it be!

• YouAreTalkingTooMuch.com

Thank you @Joanie J and @Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com . All i could remember was....black on red...."i" before "e" except after "c".....birds of a feather...... got it now! leaves of three....LET IT BE! Thank you! XOXO!

• Joanie J

you are right...leaves of three let them be!!

• Debbie Strobel

We call it Virginia Creeper. If you don't rip it out, it will take over. And the bad thing is, poison oak will grow in it, and you won't be able to see it.

• Angela A

My grandfather taught me a sayin' years ago, and it stuck......."Leaves of 3, let it be....Leaves of 5, leave it alive"..... ;-)

• Terry Bones

Looks like some of them have 5 leaves.

• Gail Salminen

@YouAreTalkingTooMuch.com Debbie Strobel is right. It is creeping virginia - has a beautiful crimson colour in the fall and produces berries that the birds like to feed on through the winter and spring. If you need a fence cover for chain link or a trellis, this would do well transplanted in that area. Our neighbour has one covering a street pole in their front yard.

• Cyndi Moore Tippett

I just spent several hours yesterday, chopping around the base of my many trees trying to get rid of this stuff....it will take over and unless you like the look of vines growing on your trees get rid of it.

• Sia@South 47th

It will choke out trees, it's very invasive.

• YouAreTalkingTooMuch.com

I am going to get rid of it today! Such good information! Thank you everyone! XOXO!

• Sia@South 47th

@YouAreTalkingTooMuch.com Good luck to you! And hope it turns out great! xo

• Evelyn McMullen

Va creeper, I let mine grow on fence and up brick wall of house. Pull is down yearly, it always comes back.

• Angela Elder

It is Virginia Creeper, AND Poison Oak. The 5 leaves are the creeper, and yes it is invasive unless you control it. The 3 leaves are poison oak.

• Cindy Guy Bellwood

This is Virginia creeper and not poisonous.

• Marie Casburn

Looks like Viginia Creeper to me to. And yes beware of leaves of 3. If you look closely at the photo you will see 5 lobes and not 3. Poison Oak also has 3 leaves.

• Barbara

5 leaf is Virginia creeper, leave it alone if you like vining plants. They turn red in the fall and are beautiful.

• Valerie

I agree with Angela. It looks to me like you could have both mixed in there. I would take a closer look to make sure. Virginia Creeper has 5 leaves, and the Poison Ivy has 3. The leaves themselves look quite similar.